Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jardeon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
Hi everyone,

My MacBook (2.0ghz CD, 1gb RAM) has been exhibiting some strange behavior lately related to the Airport card:

1. Occasionally, on waking from a sleep state, the Airport service doesn't seem to "come back." Airport will be active, but the list of available networks will be empty, and clicking on the airport icon in the top menu bar takes up to two minutes for the popup menu to appear, with the spinning beach ball spinning in a 'halting' manner (spin, pause, spin, pause, etc).

2. In this state, the only thing I can do to get Airport working again is to reboot the system, simply logging out or turning Airport off, then on again, doesn't fix the behavior.

3. Lately, on reboot, the Airport hardware isn't available at all, and a second reboot is required to bring it back online.

4. Occasionally, the computer will get stuck trying to wake from sleep, instead of giving me the username/password prompt to unlock the computer, the system will light the display but only show the spinning beachball.

Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards a software, rather than hardware diagnosis, but I was curious if anyone else had encountered the above.

Thanks!

- J

disruptor108

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2007
I have encountered these same problems recently, although I have noticed that the problems do not occur when I am connecting to an access point that is 802.11b or 802.11g. I happened to notice this at work, when I would recognize that I would not have the same problems that I was seeing at home.

I switched my wireless router at home to use 802.11g from 802.11n and sure enough, I have noticed none of the problems you mentioned before. There must be some problem with the Airport in MB's that causes this problem with 802.11n.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.