Strange Airport Extreme Behavior?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KettyKrueger, Aug 2, 2009.

1. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Hi All,

Recently purchased the AE and got it set-up as to back-up using Time Machine.

Is it normal for the drive not be visible in Finder? It shows up under 'shared' drives but not normally under the main hard drive, as an attached drive (internal or external).

Right, also, I've just completed a wireless back-up via Time Machine, yet when I browse over to my Airport disk under 'Shared', the only files on there are 'Desktop' folder which is empty and a 'SparseBundle' file which is approx. 200GB.

When I launch Time Machine (the program, not the system pref), then exit, the airport drive does appear in Finder as a regular drive, which then shows the proper back-up files ('backups.backupd' folder).

Is this normal? Is there a way to have the disk visible as a proper drive in Finder?

Thanks.

2. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Please let me clarify.

The blue Time Machine drive only contains the 'sparsebundle' and an empty 'Desktop' folder.

Whilst the white TM icon contains the regular 'backups.backupd' folders, which is what I am used to seeing from using an external drive to back up.

I've dragged the blue icon into Finder, but the white one (the useful one!) only appears when I come out of Time Machine (the program).

Is this normal? Can I make the white icon appear in Finder all the time? Do I need both?

Many thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

3. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger