Strange Airport Extreme problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brentg33, Oct 17, 2013.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

I have a 5th generation Airport Extreme running 7.6.4. I have an iMac running 10.8.5 and printer, transporter, 4 port switch, powerline adapter and ueb hard drive connected to it. About two days ago, all of the wireless devices (iphones and ipad running iOS 7 and a macbook running 10.7.5) can no longer connect. They sometimes very briefly do, however, safari, apps, and etc all stop responding and cannot connect online. I often get safari stating the server cannot be reached. However, all my wired devices are just fine. I had not done, updated, altered any settings prior to this issue occurring. Something every similar had happened when i believe i was running 7.6.3 on the APE and rolling it back to 7.6.1 seemed to help. but no such luck now. This is also a applecare replacement APE. I have called Apple, done factory resets, changed channels. looked for possible interference with neighbors networks, etc....nothing has seemed to help this time. Could the APE radios have gone bad? Not sure if i should just get a new APE or perhaps a different brand router......I just cant think of anything else to try to make this very strange problem go away..

any help you be very much appreciated

thanks

2. opinio macrumors 65816

Given you have done a factory reset and all devices cannot connect via wifi and you have checked for interference it sounds like the wifi card inside has gone.

You can replace it from memory. iFixit only shows the surgery on the 4th gen:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Apple+AirPort+Extreme+Model+A1354+WiFi+Card+Replacement/8893/1

Not sure on part availability and cost etc.

Having said that, it might be time to get the current model.

You could always keep the old extreme as a switch and NAS in your network. That's what I did. I have the current 2013 as my primary router and have relogated my 5th gen to a gigabit switch. Although mine is also a wifi extender of which yours will not be in that case.

I would stick with the 2013 extreme if you have a lot of Mac/Apple devices. I'm very happy with mine.

3. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks...
    not really sure what else i can try...
    i think i just might pick up a new one today. Just worried that i might have the same issue if it wasn't the router.

thanks