Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmanHEG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2015
Hello,

Wondering(Hoping anyway) this is a bug but has anyone else noticed when doing a clean install if the Apple ID on the "Find My" screen of the installer matches their Apple ID?

Just done two clean installs on a 2018 TB MacBook Pro 11" (with T2 Chip) and both times after setting up my Apple ID the page has had the same (but not mine) email listed. A bit worried as this could imply that someone else can lock/wipe my laptop.

Have wiped it again and am going back to Mojave but dare not use the laptop now for one day finding it locked.

Purchased from the apple referb shop before people start on the whole stolen computer tangent.

Seeing as this activation lock thing is something new with 10.15 I don't know where else it could be getting this Apple ID from, however I am not currently aware of how it works 100% with Macs yet. (simple enough on iPhone, just wipe it and it asks for an ID but my MacBook hasn't asked yet)

Not that it probably matters but its apparently an @ Mac address which makes me wonder if its a developer placeholder that's just bugged out (I know some people have a @ Mac address I just figure they are rarer than other emails)

Thanks

PhyrePhox

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
@Mac addresses are for us olds who got our Apple IDs in 1998. The domain was originally Mac.com, then me.com, then iCloud.com. All are aliases of each other AFAIK you can email me with <myid>.Mac or .me or .iCloud
I would suggest biting the bullet and emailing the person who appears and asking them to take the device off their account. If they are a bad person they might lock it. If it's stolen its better to find out ASAP. Or you can contact Apple Support since they sold it to you.
[doublepost=1562172613][/doublepost]You can use these instructions, and share them with the other user, to see what devices are connected to your/their ID, and to remove them from the account. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT205064

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
@Mac addresses are for us olds who got our Apple IDs in 1998. The domain was originally Mac.com, then me.com, then iCloud.com. All are aliases of each other AFAIK you can email me with <myid>.Mac or .me or .iCloud
I would suggest biting the bullet and emailing the person who appears and asking them to take the device off their account. If they are a bad person they might lock it. If it's stolen its better to find out ASAP. Or you can contact Apple Support since they sold it to you.
[doublepost=1562172613][/doublepost]You can use these instructions, and share them with the other user, to see what devices are connected to your/their ID, and to remove them from the account. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT205064

You can only use .Mac if you started with a .Mac address.

If you started with a .me, you can use iCloud and .me.

macmanHEG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2015

Thanks for your reply, I doubt it’s stolen as it was purchased direct from Apple on the refurbished side. Unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to email the person if I wanted to, it only comes up with two letters and the domain, the rest is all hashed out. I haven’t tried to contact Apple because as far as I know they won’t offer any support for Beta software and this doesn’t appear anywhere under 10.14

Once I set the machine up also I couldn’t find any trace of this Apple ID on the system, looked in the iCloud settings and my name and email was listed and find my mac was enabled. I could even lock it and find it on my phone.

Finding it all a bit strange. I have one other T2 enabled mac and I too purchased that on the referb shop. Will have to see what that one says.

Really would also like to know where apple are getting this from, I’m assuming it’s their servers sending it down to my mac but I thought they had new serial numbers when refurbished?

PhyrePhox

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I thought they had new serial numbers when refurbished
First time I ever heard that.
Regardless, you are right, there's nothing on the device about anyone's Apple ID stored there permanently. The serial (or UUID or some sort of unique identifier) from the device is still linked to another Apple ID on Apple's servers, and it's worth telling them IMO.

macmanHEG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2015
First time I ever heard that.
Regardless, you are right, there's nothing on the device about anyone's Apple ID stored there permanently. The serial (or UUID or some sort of unique identifier) from the device is still linked to another Apple ID on Apple's servers, and it's worth telling them IMO.

I’ve submitted feedback in the feedback app but I haven’t bothered speaking to AppleCare as I assume they wouldn’t have a clue what I was talking about because it’s a beta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.