Strange audio issue on iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wadjssd, Feb 4, 2009.

1. wadjssd macrumors newbie

Apologies for the vague title. This one has me stumped.

A couple of days ago, I noticed a clicking sound whilst listening to my iPod (within my iPhone 3G). At first I thought it may be a headphone fault, but having changed headphones, played via the speaker on the handset and through my car stereo, the problem is consistent.

The noise itself is very much like the regular click, click, click you get on an old vinyl record as it spins. Even stranger is that as the sound level increases (during a heavy section of a song for example) the clicking gets worse, both louder and seemingly in frequency. The reverse is true, with it becoming much quieter during more subdued playback.

Today I have also noticed that this problem is not restricted to playback of tunes via the iPod. I've heard it during text message alert, plus a few other 'system' sounds.

The problem wasn't evident a few days ago, and nothing of note has happened in the interim such as drops, bangs, contact with liquids or anything else that I can think of.

I'm baffled - any thoughts or ideas most welcome.

Cheers,
    wadjssd

2. wadjssd thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved...

In follow-up to my original post, the solution was surprisingly simple. I updated the software / firmware to 2.2.1, and the issue seems to have vanished.
    I have no idea why this would work, but I'm happy to have my interference-free music back. :eek:)

wadjssd