Strange Audio Problem on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by meawanderer99, May 2, 2009.

1. meawanderer99 macrumors newbie

I've had a Macbook Pro for about a year and a half now with no problems. Everything has been great.

But the last few months, I've noticed an on and off audio problem. The output sound sometimes "skips" between the internal speakers, headphones, Built-in Output (hdpn), and Built-in Output (ispk).

If music or other audio is playing, it sounds like it is stuttering and skipping.

When I then open up "System Preferences" and click on the Sound icon, it's acting all crazy, automatically switching back and forth between all the different audio output options.

It's totally sporadic. Sometimes a few weeks will go by with it being completely normal, then it will act up again one day. Then it will go away for a while again.

It's really frustrating when it happens. Anybody have any ideas what the problem is? Thank you for your assistance.

2. Rinz macrumors newbie

I'm not sure I know how to help you, but I believe I've read about a similar problem to this before. The problem could be related to the phono socket, and your machine is confusing there being something plugged into it when there isn't. Would explain the problems you've been experiencing.

If you have speakers/headphones plugged in, does this still happen?

I wouldn't suggest poking anything else in there, however. Sorry I can't be of more help.

3. meawanderer99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for being the one person to respond to my question. :eek:

It's kind of a sporadic problem, so it comes and goes. When I have my headset mic plugged in, it seems to be OK.

But when I only had the headphones plugged in (and NOT the mic), it seemed to happen then.

However, like I've said, it's sporadic, so I can't tell what triggers it. Sometimes it's OK, other times it goes crazy.

Anyone else have an idea? Thank you.

4. cococarter macrumors newbie

I have the same issue

Hi there meawanderer,

I had this problem originally about a year ago and as they were unable to help I was advised by telephone support to take my macbook into a store. They replaced a part (can't remember which one) and it worked fine until recently.

The problem has resurfaced again and I'm now in a country which has no apple support so if you find a way of resolving the issue please post it on the thread.

Many thanks

5. porkozone macrumors newbie

I've recently started having the same problem - if anyone knows any other details, please share.