Strange backlight issue on iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ashenfang, Oct 1, 2012.

1. ashenfang macrumors member

I pre-ordered two iPhone 5's and received them on launch day. Both are 16gb, one is white and one is black. My wife's phone (white) is having a strange issues that I can't figure out.

She will be using her phone and without notice, the backlight on the screen will dim ALL the way down, you can barley make out the screen. Pressing the home button will restore the screen brightness, as will locking the phone. I have checked the screen settings and the brightness is set to 3/4 and auto brightness is OFF. I have also done a a reboot on the phone. The problem appears to be random. I can't figure out why it is doing this and of course, she is wanting me to fix it. The strange part is that it will occur when the phone is being used. Any input appreciated!

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

By any chance is she covering the top of the phone with her hand/fingers?

3. ashenfang thread starter macrumors member

Thats exactly what I thought when she first told me but she says she isn't. The phone did do this for me as well and the light sensor wasn't being covered. Not sure if this is a hardware issue or some kind of quirk in IOS 6.

4. garyp609 macrumors newbie

I am having an issue where the brightness goes all the way up by itself. I turned off the Auto-Brightness and it seems to have fixed the problem. With the Auto-Brightness "on" I can set the brightness about half way and watch it creep up by itself.

5. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I have the same issue, but my brightness is at 100% and auto brightness is off, and at random, it dims to its lowest setting. The same as above, a home button, or off / on fixes it.

I didn't notice this until I put a screen protector on the screen. Maybe this is the culprit? Are you guys with this issue using a screen shield?

6. albertsw macrumors regular

7. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

This is what I thought.

Is she mistaking the screen going to sleep? Maybe she stares at it for long periods without touching the screen?