Strange battery behavior after 1.1.1 update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Island Dog, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I am having a strange problem with the battery life after the recent update. It will randomly lose battery life at a very rapid rate, like from 20% to 0 in a matter of minutes without doing anything on the phone.

This has happened a couple of times since the update, and I was wondering if anyone else has seen a similar problem.

2. GTiPhone macrumors regular

YES!

I was just about to create a new thread and title it: With the loss of 1.0.2 went my battery life.

What I have noticably lost is my stand by time. STAND BY TIME! Of all things.

When I leave my phone in its case, on my night stand over night instead of docked (I do this when the battery is basically full), I would normally wake up to find the battery right where I left it.

After all, I only get about 4-5 hours of sleep per night, and the iPhone should get 250 hours of stanby time. I wake up to find the battery down about 60% from where it was! This is ridiculous and did not happen before.

---------------------

1. Prior to 1.1.1, I charged my iPhone EVERY OTHER DAY.

2. After 1.1.1, I now charge EVERYDAY.

WTF APPLE??????

3. Island Dog thread starter macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Yes, I would have a full charge at night, and in the morning it's almost completely gone. It doesn't happen every time though.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

People are complaining all over. Two possibilities so far:

1) Someone was told by an Apple phone tech that they boosted the WiFi signal so you can more easily buy tunes at coffee shops. If so, turn it off when possible.

2) An update gets the battery levels out of sync. Re-calibrate it by fully charging / discharging / and charging again.

5. cmaier macrumors G3

I still think it has something to do with how the email polling works, mainly because it reminds me of chatter on treo (some people see the problem, some don't, etc.)

6. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

If anything my battery life is better with 1.1.1, the other day i had 9 hours of usage with 2 days of standby and my battery was 20%

7. mrJnC macrumors regular

Additional anecdotal evidence to that effect: I'm seeing far better WiFi connectivity at work. Prior to 1.1.1, it could only connect to the public access point about 30% of the time. I haven't had a disconnect since the update.

Still, given the difference in data rates if you have the phone set to pull email for a periodic interval, EDGE is so much slower that it will deplete the battery faster than WiFi. But if you're not around a WiFi network, I would agree with leaving it off.

8. snchpnz macrumors member

Well, I have noticed both things. My iPhone does use more battery and the wifi reception is better. I know because at work I steal wifi from the company next door and before the update I would get disconnected whenever I would go to the front office but today I noticed it stays connected everywhere I go. I also noticed that the battery does drains faster. At first I thought I was just using my phone more than usual but now that you guys mention it my phone does need to be charged every night while before I could skip a day and still have it half charged. To be honest I would rather have it the way it was before.

9. RidleyGriff macrumors regular

I noticed this at first under 1.1.1 -- as it turned out, I was putting my phone to sleep right before (or just as, perhaps) the "do you wish to join wifi network xyz" screen came up -- in this mode, the wifi was constantly active, and would drain the battery pretty rapidly.

I've tried to be more aware of the wifi connectivity -- hitting cancel on the Do you want to join screen, etc -- and have seen a return to normal behavior since.

10. suneun macrumors member

I updated my iPhone on Tuesday when the update came out. No 3rd party apps installed, but the iphone bugged out during install and I had to restore. On Sunday and Monday I discovered that my iPhone was running out of battery VERY quickly. From Sunday evening to Monday afternoon it lasted a total of 19 hours from full recharge. Within that period, I had used voice for 30 mins, and websurf for about 1.5 hrs. Ridiculous. But what I noticed is that the Usage and the Standby times were recording the same amount of time. That seemed pretty wrong. I also thought that my iPhone was warm when it was on standby. Sounded like a software error where the iPhone wasn't going on standby properly. I called Apple support. The first person I talked to was not helpful and stated that she thought 19 hrs of use was "normal" even though I tried to tell her this was with minimal actual use. I called back after she put me on hold for 5 mins (my iPhone was at 10% and rapidly draining so I had to switch phones). The second person I talked to was very nice and helpful. We walked through resetting the iPhone and then he suggested another restore. I did the restore yesterday, and now the Usage/Standby bug is gone and I appear to have good battery life again. It shows Usage: 2 hrs, Standby: 24 hrs, and about 60% left on the battery icon.

So, try a full restore if your story sounds like mine. The guy I spoke to also suggested going to an Apple Store to swap units or sending my iphone in. He said he'd waive the substitute phone fee in that case. Nice guy!

11. Island Dog thread starter macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I had a full charge last night, and just sitting overnight has completely drained it. I'm going to try a restore and if not then it's a call to Apple.

12. weeman macrumors 6502

Man, same exact thing happened to me this morning! I went to bed around 1am and woke up at 8am and first thing I did was check my phone and it just showed the "charge me" screen, and I was like what the heck!!! Let me know how your restore goes!

13. Island Dog thread starter macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Restore didn't do anything. I guess I will have to take it to the Apple store.

14. taybo20 macrumors regular

taybo20

Restore hasnt seemed to help much. I think I'm going to take it to the store. I dont know what is wrong. I think it is software related but the phone is just losing battery like crazy. I have noticed a lot of bugs in this recent update. Btw has anyone noticed the phone not charging when connected to the computer or car charger? Mine seems to only charge on the dock.

15. ~Phi macrumors regular

Mine seems to never fully charge to 100% and reset the usage meter. Not quite sure what the problem is as I have wifi/bluetooth off and it's usually plugged into an outlet for 12 hours at a time. :confused:

16. taybo20 macrumors regular

taybo20

i'm really hoping another update comes out to resolve some of the buggy issues that are present. In all actuality i think 1.0.2 was better than 1.1.1. At least for me anyways.

17. Island Dog thread starter macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Well I took a trip to the Apple Store today and saw a "genius". He was very nice, and gave me a brand new iPhone. Been working great so far.

:)

18. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I've been having the same problem with mine. I thought I was going crazy, but I guess not.

19. ForeverUnknown macrumors regular

That happened to me 2 days ago. I fully charged overnight, and within a few hours half of my battery was gone. I charged it back up, and everything is fine again...

I am getting about the same battery life with 1.1.1 as with 1.0.2 though.

20. F1Addict macrumors newbie

Yep, same battery problems since the 1.1.1 update. I normally use the phone fairly heavily during the day, so by the end of the day, I'm almost out of battery, I put it on the dock and charge it overnight, and am good to go the for the next day.

Yesterday... I took it off the dock around 9am in the morning, and with it showing an hour and half of usage by 2pm, it was dying quick!!! Within 20 minutes of the 20% warning, it was fully gone. I also noticed it had been fairly warm the majority of the day. I gave it a full charge yesterday afternoon, and now it seems to be back to normal. I took it off the charge around 6pm, have a total of 2 hours use plus the standby, and am still around 80%.

So I'm guessing the full discharge, full recharge reset the battery after the update, and now I'm good. I'll keep everyone posted.

21. weeman macrumors 6502

How long did you talk to him for? The genius I talked to told me to restore one more time before bringing it in again and I had already done a restore.

22. Island Dog thread starter macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I made an appointment online, and when I showed up I just gave him the phone, and told him about the battery problem and how I tried restoring. He looked up a few things, and then switched phones for me. :)