Strange battery behavior?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by arvindhudli, Apr 20, 2012.

1. arvindhudli, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012

arvindhudli macrumors newbie

I had a broken home button on an iPod touch 4G running 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak with otherwise no issues. I had it replaced by apple. I currently use an iPod touch 4G running a tethered jailbreak of 5.1 with redsn0w. Couldn't restore to 5.0.1 because I hadn't saved my shsh blobs.

Since then, each time I boot tethered, the battery meter starts off at 100% no matter what the actual battery level is. When I plug it in, it shows me a lightning bolt and not a plug icon as it should when the battery is full.
    It then shows that the battery drain accommodates for the extra percentage shown.
    For example, if I boot tethered at 50% battery, it will show a drain rate twice that it would if I had booted with 100%.

The battery level also fluctuates a lot. I heard that temperature changes and other issues have made the battery gauge inaccurate with a few % fluctuation, but I get around 20-30% fluctuation while playing games, which I had never seen on my older iPod.

A few resprings or safe mode reboots usually fix the battery meter, but not the fluctuations. What is really intriguing is that if I boot normally using semitether, the battery meter is perfect. And what is even more intriguing is that the battery charges normally, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue.

So does anybody else have this problem? How can I fix it? Is this a software or a hardware issue? Can I hope for the untethered jailbreak for 5.1 will fix it or should I get the iPod replaced?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Unjailbreak and see if the behavior persists. If not, it's probably the jailbreak.

3. arvindhudli thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like unjailbreaking fixes the problem. But a rejailbreak brings it back to the weird state. Looks like I'll have to live with it then :(

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

make sure all the utilities are uptodate and try again, might solve the issue

5. Dino451 macrumors 6502

Restore and don't use a backup to get your settings back. Make it like it's a new iPod.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd ask on one of the various jailbreaking forums. Maybe they know something that can help you.

7. arvindhudli thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I had in fact done this when I got my replacement iPod from Apple. It has been weird since then. :confused:

Yeah that's a good idea, thank you. Do I have to copy paste or can I move this thread?

8. Dino451 macrumors 6502

Have you tried using the latest redsnow when you JB?

9. arvindhudli thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup. I used version 0.9.10b6, which seems to be the one you should use for jailbreaking 5.1. Nothing works :(

The only solution I could think of was to not unplug the charger until there is a plug icon so I know it really is full. Meh.