Strange battery problem.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fishmoose, Aug 2, 2011.

1. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Hi, is it possible for MBP's batteries to overcharge? This is the output I get in Coconutbattery:

[​IMG]

From this reading I get the impression the battery has charged beyond it's capacity. I got the same output on my 13" MacBook from 2007 and that battery swelled up and caused issues with my trackpad. I don't want the same thing to happen to my new MacBook Pro. Is this normal or is something wrong here on my end?

I have the 15" high-end MacBook Pro with the anti-glare screen. I never let the MBP be plugged in for more than 3 days, that is to say, if I haven't used it on battery for three days I unplug and let the battery go down to about 50%.

I have also let the battery run down until the computer shut itself down twice since getting the computer 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for any help :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Happens all the time. It's just a reporting error.

3. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

I see, so I should't worry? Here's another question. I turn off my MBP when I go to bed and often when I turn it on in the morning the battery have gone down from 100% to 99% is this normal? Happened on my 13" MB too.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it can't overcharge. The 101% is your battery health, not the amount of charge. Your battery health is a less-than-perfect estimate and will fluctuate up and down over time. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: