Strange battery situation with my 2008 2.53 UMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Whackintosh, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

Not quite sure what to make of this. Roughly one month ago, I bought a refurb 2008 UMBP 2.53. While it's been an incredible machine, I was perplexed to find that my battery health was at 95%. I only realized this about two weeks after purchasing, with only 7 cycles on the battery. Then the battery dropped to 94% and I called Apple, who sent me a new battery, which arrived last Friday. I installed it and Coconut tells me that this new battery is at 98% health - on its first cycle. Meanwhile, I see posts from people who've got their original batteries from a 2-year old machine still functioning at 100%, so I'm not sure what gives here?

Could there be something wrong with my actual machine that's causing it to wrongly evaluate battery health? I calibrated both batteries, to no avail.

2. glavoie84 macrumors regular

Battery capacity will vary from one unit to another. Some may get a higher capacity than the spec, some a lower. The capacity on my 13" MacBook Pro battery varies between 95% and 98% and it's on its 32th cycle. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts to drop quickly.

3. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, that's reassuring to know. I love this machine and the last thing I want to do is start having it opened up and prodded.