Strange behavior for Finder when copying folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by isianto, May 25, 2007.

1. isianto macrumors regular

Dear guys, I'm new to mac, so please bear with me.
    I noticed that whenever I copy a folder to a destination with the same folder name, the finder will ask me whether to replace the file or not. When I choose replace, it will delete the destination folder and then it will copy the folder to the destination.
    to confirm this, I put a folder named test on /Users, and I also put the test folder on Desktop.
    On my /Users/test I create a test1.txt, and on my desktop/test I create a test2.txt, then I copy from /Users/test to /Desktop, when the finder asked the replace question, I answered yes, and it's true the test folder on the desktop was erased, then it copied from the /Users/test. So in my desktop test folder, instead of 2 files (test1.txt, and test2.txt), there's only 1 file (test1.txt)
    Is it normal? if not how to correct it? if yes how to append the file to the existing folder?
    Sorry for my English
    Thanks

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Because you are replacing the folder with test2.txt in it with the folder with text1.txt in it.

If you want a folder with both files in it. Put both files in the same folder. Dont replace the folder.

Basic stuff mate. :)

3. isianto thread starter macrumors regular

Dear MacboobsPro,
    I think either you misunderstand my meaning (because of my english) or you're completely wrong.
    What I mean is whether you're using linux, windows , you can copy a folder on one harddisk to another harddisk with the same folder name, but you didn't erase the content of the folder, but you're adding the content from folder1 to folder1 (located on another drive)

4. Angrist macrumors 6502

Yea, what you're talking about is the "folder merge" function in windows.

OSX doesn't work that way. OSX treats each folder just like any other object, if you try to move two with the same name to the same place it'll prompt you and then replace the entire folder, contents and all. What you're seeing is perfectly normal, and I don't know of any way to change the behavior (although honestly I've never looked).

Personally I think that the Mac way of doing it makes much more sense in the context of the way everything else behaves.