Strange behavior on mid-2012 MB Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Sean82, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Sean82 macrumors newbie

Sean82

To preface this post, I spilled beer on my open MB Air about three years ago. It instantly powered off and remained that way for about three days until miraculously powering back on. I had no other issues with it for three years until this weekend when the following happened -

I was using it unplugged from the power cable until the battery ran out. When I plugged it back in, the green light on the MagSafe flashed green for about a half second and then went off. I tried with multiple chargers and the short green flash repeated but would not charge. When pressing the power button, a black screen with a battery and flashing red empty indicator appears.

I left the computer and charger in my car over night where the temperature reached near freezing. In the morning I brought it in and to my surprise, it powered on showing 1% battery remaining. The charger, however would not charge the computer. The battery eventually died and I am back to a machine that will not turn on or charge.

Any idea if this is repairable or in any way salvageable? I already purchased a 13" MPB to replace it but want to be certain that the Air is shot. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

It likely is repairable, but there isn't 100% certainty. It may be related to the beer incident, or totally unrelated.

It could be something as simple as dirt/debris on the MagSafe contacts, a failure of the I/O board, exhausted battery, the need to reset the SMC... Some fixes may be worth paying for, others may not. Regardless, this situation is hardly alien to any Mac repair shop. Also, would you want to discard that Mac without erasing your data?

3. Sean82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sean82

Thanks for the response. I reset the PRAM and it booted right up.