Strange Behaviour from Mac Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by highpark gal, Apr 7, 2013.

1. highpark gal macrumors newbie

hi - the activity log in my mac mail often shows large numbers of emails downloading. most recently it was 4727. i don't see anything coming into my inbox. i do have a large volume of emails - currently just over 17000 in my inbox. this "activity" happens often enough to be disturbing. can someone explain what is going on and if I should be concerned?? many thanks

2. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Who is your mail provider? If you're under IMAP settings, it's just the app communicating with the server and syncing.

3. thecounthahaha macrumors regular

I've had that recently with hotmail re-downloading thousands of emails (and marking them as unread!) every couple of weeks. Since they've switched me to Outlook it stopped though (touch wood!).

4. highpark gal thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Willis - thanks for feedback. I use mac mail. It is IMAP, but is it norma to see this activity in the activity box? (lower left in navigation bar/menu strip in mac mail)??

5. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Yeah, it's just indicating what's going on. Have you moved any mail from inbox to folders? Either way, it's most likely nothing to worry about

6. highpark gal thread starter macrumors newbie

PHewwww

thanks - great news!