Strange behaviour from Macbook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by drsox, Jul 19, 2012.

1. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Have other folks experienced the same problems with their 2011 MBA that I have over just the past two weeks or so :

I run a normal mix of open apps - Safari (6 or open windows - no Flash videos etc running), Excel, Airport, Mail, Sonos, Bridge Checker, Finder, Silex.
    I close the lid with nothing active (no file transfers or user initiated processes going on).
    I come back 1 hour or so later to find the fan on high (4000rpm or so) with the MBA unresponsive to any action except shut down by holding down the OFF button.
    MBA boots up as normal and nothing is amiss.

Weird or what ! Screen saver gone mad ? I'll disable it and test again.

2. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

What if you close the lid with no apps running at all? Then open Safari and try again. Then Silex... And so on till you spot on the issue.

3. drsox thread starter macrumors 65816

drsox

Yes, a classic approach worth trying, but the effect is sporadic so could well take a long time to track down.

I'll try closing all but 1 app for a few days and see if I can replicate the problem - starting with the screen saver.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Try resetting the System Management Controller (SMC). There are instructions on Apple's website. Often that addresses fan issues.