Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

switch9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2020
Hi all,

I have my MBP repaired at official Apple Store- screen replacement. I had macOS Catalina, macOS Big Sur Beta and Windows installed at the time of repair. They indicated to me that there are some problems with booting of Big Sur and asked me if I can reinstall it and I said sure.

But, I encounter first problems when trying to delete Windows through Boot Camp Assistant - there were some partition problems and it could not be done. So, I decided to reset everything and install a clean macOS Catalina. There were problems with the installation - after booting the installer was failing. A SMC reset helped with that - I managed to install clean macOS Catalina.

Everything seemed to work until I tried to install macOS Big Sur on APFS partition. Basically, it starts booting macOS installer and then immediately fails. I tried everything - resetting SMC and NVRAM and also reviving firmware on T2 chip. But unfortunately, nothing works.

Did anybody have similar issues? I am not sure if this is hardware or software problem. I was suspecting there is some problem with T2 chip after the repair.

It is quite disappointing that official Apple Service returned a MBP in this state after the repair...

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
If there's an issue with your MBP after a repair, you need to contact Apple to let them know asap under their Service Warranty if you think it applies to your situation:

"3.1 Service Warranty. For all service orders, Apple warrants that (1) services performed will conform to their description for ninety (90) days from the date of service, (2) except for batteries described in the subsection below, all parts or products used in service will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for ninety (90) days from the date of service, and (3) batteries installed as part of Apple’s battery replacement service for Apple portable Mac computers will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for one year from the date of service. This warranty is an express limited warranty. If non-conforming service is provided or a defect arises in a replacement part or product during the applicable warranty period, Apple will at its option, either (a) re-perform services to conform to their description (b) repair or replace the part or product, using parts or products that are new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or (c) refund the sums paid to Apple for service."

switch9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2020
Namara, thanks for your reply.

I found out this is an issue other people also had installing Big Sur Beta. I restored the firmware on T2 chip and now everything seems to work.

Reactions: jerryk and 0128672
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.