Strange behaviour...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by systanford, Sep 26, 2011.

1. systanford macrumors newbie

I have a MBP running Lion, 10.7. The specs are as follows:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Memory: 4 GB

This morning I went to use it and the keyboard started playing up.
    I went to type in my password only to realise that certain keys were not working. Now none of them do.
    The back-light is fully lit across the 8,U,H,J,K,N keys but dim elsewhere.
    Then there was a crackling from the speakers too. Now only the left speaker is working.

Anyone able to give a diagnosis? Advice, anything? Despite extensive searching I've found nothing...

Sy

2. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

Did you (or anyone else) spill anything on it recently? That's the only thing I can think of, because that's the only way the speakers and keyboard are related.

You say the backlit keyboard is partially working, I take it this means the ambient light sensor is working? What about the microphone?

3. systanford thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing has been spilt on or near it...
    I've yet to check the mic, I will when I can and update accordingly.
    The ambient light sensor is working to an extent but not correctly. When covered it lights up the part I mentioned before, but then won't dim the lights when needed.

4. systanford thread starter macrumors newbie

The mic and audio out are working fine.

I've also noticed the four corners of the trackpad have become non-responsive to touch, unless the contact is made in the centre of the pad first. Eg, If I make contact with the pad in the centre then drag outward there is no problem. If I initiate contact towards a corner, the trackpad wont acknowledge anything until my finger reaches the middle.

5. Ramunas macrumors member

Same stuff happened to my macbook pro 13" when I spilled coffee on it.

6. systanford, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

systanford thread starter macrumors newbie

No liquid has been near this though...

Ok, so the cause isn't really the issue, what parts do I need to replace to remedy the issue?

7. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

Likely the entire top case. You have an older MBP though, so this isn't as much of a hassle as on the newer MBPs. You'll probably need to source one from eBay. Make sure you get one for your specific MBP-- while I don't think the top cases changed between generations (with the exception of the introduction of multitouch), better to be safe than sorry.

8. systanford thread starter macrumors newbie

OK replacing that is no issue, I have a source too. Would this remedy the speaker issue too do you think? Or would it be more likely that I need to purchase a replacement speaker set?
    Thanks for your help/advice.

9. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that the speakers are not attached to the top cases in the older models.

I would try reseating the connectors first. Without buttoning the machine back up (a real pain), test them first. If the problem persists, replace! ;)

Good luck.