Strange Behaviour?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by discodave, Jul 19, 2007.

1. discodave macrumors member

On My iMac 2.00Ghz C2D, I have the first two Airport icons in my utilities folder displayed below.

On My MacBook 2.00Ghz C2D, I have the last two Airport icons in my utilities folder.

Both have the same software, OS X 10.4.10 installed with all updates. Anyone have an explanation?

David

Attached Files:

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

The Macbook is primarily wireless as it's a laptop and the iMac is a desktop so it's mainly wired?

Most logical explanation to me anyway.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i don't know either. like you, i had the first two icons on my c2d macbook and ibook g4, but i have the last two icons on my 2.4 ghz macbook pro. :confused:

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Have you bought and installed the new Airport extreme because the second set of icons contains one labelled "Airport Disk utility" which is a feature of the new airport extreme stations.

The new airport extreme base stations probably come with updated software which looks like they have updated icons as well. If this is the case have you installed the software on both computers.

5. discodave thread starter macrumors member

Thats what I thought about the Airport Extreme too. However, I haven't got the new one or installed any software for it. I'm using the older 802.11g Airport Extreme and both computers have all software up to date through Software Update. I haven't installed anything from a disc.

6. discodave thread starter macrumors member

Afraid not. They both connect via Airport.

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

how odd.

I have the first set on both the iMacs and this powerbook. No sign of the other icons.
    Do you have an airport base station anywhere?

8. dcv macrumors G3

The first two are the old style icons for the software that ships with the old Airport Express/Extreme base stations, I have those on my PowerBook. I think the second two [might?] come as standard with the OS these days, am fairly sure I saw those on my MBP, certainly the Airport Utility. I don't have an Airport disk set up.

9. discodave thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so I seem to have this figured. Sort of.

The last two utilities in my first post are those that come standard on new Macs. They are also included if you install the new Airport Extreme Station.

If you have the latest iMac (this also applies to other current Macs), but purchased it before the new Airport came out, you are stuck with the old software applications.

What gets me, is that I never installed the software for the new Airport Extreme and currently use the older 802.11g one (No pre-draft 'n').

Why therefore, should I have to use different software to configure it on different machines which both have the latest OS and are both the latest offerings from Apple? I find it very, very strange that Apple should assume that all customers of the newer Macs will own a new Aiport Extreme also.

Lastly, why don't they make available the two newest utilities free online via software update as they seem to be capable of using the older base station?

David

EDIT: The older version, 'Airport Admin Utility' is version 4.2.3 and the newer, renamed version 'Airport Utility' is version 5.1. They have completely different interfaces.

10. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

It's the level of software available at the time of the machine's release.

If you have two computers with disparate versions, just copy the new to the old and you're fine (or vice versa). You'll want to be aware that Airport Disk Utility has a package in the /System/Library/CoreServices in it, and an item in /System/Library/Contextual Menu Items as well. If you have one computer that came with the old software, and are now using the new Airport Extreme you will have received that software.

If you're truly 'desperate', you can 'extract' it from the AirPort Base Station Update 2007001 which has the newest versions of both inside it.