Strange black screen on MacBook Pro..?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by raddyator, Jun 27, 2011.

1. raddyator macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I'm pretty sure my macbook pro is *********, but i'm coming to this forum just for some longshot possibility that someone may be able to help :).

A couple weeks ago or so, i was using my laptop in my bed and I closed it to go to sleep. But then I remembered i had to do something so I quickly opened it again, but there was just a black screen, but i could still hear it running, i've done this before so i assumed i opened it and closed it too fast so i waited, but the screen remained black, but the fan was still running. So i held down the power button so it turned off, and i waited for a bit, and turned it back on, but all the computer did was make that little "scratch" noise it makes as if you were waking it back up from being asleep or lifting the lid. So i'm like "What the heck", because i can still hear the fan running, so i take the battery out. But when i put it back in and pressed the power button the same thing happened! So i was really mad and decided to take the battery out and i just left it sitting there with the battery out, and i put it back in a while later and turned it on and... ta da, it powers back up and is working perfectly.... Until i shut it and the same thing happens AGAIN, but i made sure i was careful shutting it this time. I've tried taking the battery out and waiting and putting it back in but doesnt work anymore. Im going overseas in 5 days and i must have my laptop for entertainment purposes on the plane. PLEASE HELP! :(

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

3. raddyator, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

raddyator thread starter macrumors newbie

just tried resetting PRAM, i pressed the power button before it got the chance to make that "scratch" noise, and it made the startup noise right away when i held the keys down. Now the screen is black and nothing is happening :(

EDIT: Just tried the SMC too, the power up noise was made but the screen is black now -.-

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Which model MacBook Pro is it? See if your system is one of the ones listed here.

5. raddyator thread starter macrumors newbie

ARE YOU SERIOUS huh well thats why this has happened before, thanks a lot for your help :) My dad bought the laptop in 2008 i think and its a 17 inch so im 80% sure that thats the problem. I'll take it into the Apple store ASAP