Strange blutooth issue with 2014 Prius cars?? (more below)

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by eroxx, Jul 7, 2014.

1. eroxx macrumors 6502a

I'm looking to lease a 2014 Prius.

I have learned to try all technological related things before purchasing, and with all of the Prius 1 and 2 models I had this issue:

If I am STREAMING audio (spotify, podcast, etc) and then hit the home button for siri, siri connects for a split second and then disconnects. However, if I'm not playing audio from the iPhone and I hit siri, it works as expected ...

The Toyota people thought I was crazy for wanting such an "advanced" feature, which made me crazy. In this "day and age," most people stream audio. I constantly use siri while I'm driving to make phone calls, text, etc...

Interestingly, the Prius model 4 worked. We tried about 6 cars, so I don't think it's a fluke ...

Any thoughts??

2. matthew2926 macrumors 6502

I think the main problem is that you are about to buy a Prius :p

3. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Woochifer, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014

Woochifer macrumors 6502a

I have the exact same issue with a 2012 Mazda3. Apparently, this issue started with the iOS 7.1 (.1?) update. It's not just with the turn-by-turn directions, but with any app that cannot deliver audio continuously in the background. It's like if no app that can engage the audio in the background is active, then iOS will drop the Bluetooth audio and pick it back up intermittently.

I didn't notice previously because I almost always have streaming audio on. But, once when I was driving without the music on, I noticed the directions cutting out and it took a while for me to figure out that it only happened when the music is turned off.

I suspect that this might be a bug with a specific Bluetooth module, because this affects more than just Mazdas (Mazda uses the Bluetooth module from Johnson Controls, so Toyota might be using the same part). I also suspect that this issue is a byproduct of Apple tinkering with the power settings.

31 Flavas, who also owns a Mazda3, on the 7.1.2 thread said that he remedied this by activating HFP Prompts in the Maps settings. But, that option does not show up with my car's Bluetooth version. Another kludge that he found was to pull up a YouTube video and leave it paused. For whatever reason, doing this keeps the audio signal active in the background, so the turn-by-turn directions go uninterrupted.

I'm glad that it's not just me and not just Mazdas. Apparently iOS 7.1.2 does not fix this, so we'll see if any latter versions solve this issue.

5. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

6. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

If you can, send a bug report to Apple. If enough people with this issue bug them about it, maybe they'll look into it.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

7. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

This happened WAY before iOS7. It was happening with my original iPhone 4 ruing iOS 6 or 5. I hoped it would be fixed with my new 5S.
    Interentingly enough, if I use the AUX in and am streaming then trying to use Maps or SIRI, it gently lowers the volume and the Turn-by-Turn or SIRI come thru loud and clear.

8. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you have a different issue than the one I have.

The turn-by-turn directions sound fine using an analog connection. They also sound fine when a streaming audio app is running at the same time.

It's only when I use turn-by-turn via Bluetooth with nothing else running that the directions cut out.