Strange Boot Camp issue...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jlewis2k1, Sep 5, 2009.

1. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

I searched the forums and the web but didn't see anything...

Today my friend and i were getting ready to install windows using boot camp, however. When we boot up using the windows installation disc it doesn't even show the correct drive, just an incorrect drive size as an unknown. We both thought well maybe it just a glitch and proceeded to use the unknown partition... well, that unknown partition appeared to be the Mac OS X one. But what confused us was that it said it was a 128 GB drive rather than a 450 GB (we created a 50 GB partition to use for windows) and the Windows partition didn't even show at all. Has anyone else had this issue also?

This is the first time I have ever encountered this issue with Boot Camp, then again I have always used the Tiger and Leopard versions.

His laptop is a current version Mac Book Pro 13" with 4 GB of memory and a 500 GB drive running Snow Leopard

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Run Boot Camp Assistant again and hopefully it gives you the option to remove the one you created. Basically you want to remove the Boot Camp partition and create it again. The process is straightforward so maybe you incorrectly did something.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Was the install disc XP or Vista? Home/Professional Service Pack 2 for XP or Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate for Vista? 32/64 bit? Remember that Boot Camp is a bit restrictive about specifically what versions it supports for the smoothest install. Check for the compatible Windows versions here.

4. jlewis2k1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

Sorry for the long delay, had a busy few days.

It was Windows XP with no service pack... It turns out that the disc that I have, doesn't support reading particular SATA drives. All is good, I ended up getting a new copy of Vista to install.

Thanks for your help, again I am sorry for the delay it has been a busy few days.