Strange boot issue - rmbp 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Freyqq, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Freyqq macrumors 601

I have a late 2013 15" rmbp with 512gb SSD. About a week ago, my osx and windows 8 partitions simultaneously wouldn't boot up. Windows 8 would give a boot error, but restoring to a restore point got it to boot up again. OSX would just stay at the grey screen with the apple and the spinning icon forever. I was able to restore from an old time machine backup and get it working again.

A week later, the same problem occurred. Both partitions suddenly wouldn't boot simultaneously. This time, no windows 8 restore options worked all. I ended up just wiping out that partition, as I didn't have a choice. I restored osx again from a time machine backup, and it works again...for now.

So, what's the problem here? It sounds hardware related to me, as it is highly unlikely that the same software issue would affect 2 separate partitions with 2 separate os at the same time 2 weeks in a row. Is the SSD failing?

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

That's sure what it sounds like to me. Have you run AHT?

3. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 601

the new macs have a simpler form of AHT that just does a basic 2 min check. It found no issues.

4. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

According to Apple, you still have the option to check the "Perform extended test" checkbox.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

I'm not sure if it's still supported, but you used to be able to press control-L and "Looping on" will show up.

5. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 601

nope, that changes the language =\