Strange boot up situation... Mouse gets Startup Disk working?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by requieminadream, Oct 30, 2009.

1. requieminadream macrumors member

requieminadream

We have three Power Mac G4's here at our office which have been salvaged for parts in other machines for some time now. We decided to piece together a G4 to play a video in our lobby during office hours. One that would shut down and boot up at required times and automatically play the video file.

I got the pieces working in a G4, and I then formatted and did a clean install of Tiger on a spare working HD we had laying around. After the installation, I ran Software Update and got every last update installed and ready to go. The video plays fine, etc.

Now the weird part:

Every time I shut down, when I boot back up, I get an blinking OS9-style blue folder-? in the middle of the screen.

After trying a few times, I decided to attempt to re-install Tiger. I obviously couldn't eject the DVD drive without being in the OS, so I did what any Apple guy would do, and held down the mouse while booting to force the drive to eject.

Then I got the good ole' gray and white Tiger boot up screen. Tiger loaded quickly and everything was just fine.

I doubled checked the Startup Disk settings, and everything was fine there.

I checked the time/date and made sure it wasn't the Logic Board battery failing to hold data, however the time/date were correct.

Here is a video of the situation to drive home the point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dNEBtSIR1Q

What... oh what... is going on?

2. requieminadream thread starter macrumors member

requieminadream

Discovered the solution!

The optical drives opening and helping boot the machine had me thinking about the BIOS and boot orders. I moved the IDE cable from one ATA slot to another, and bam, now it starts up just fine!

Hooray for progress!