Strange Borders on Desktop Icons...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rwskemer, Feb 27, 2008.

1. rwskemer macrumors regular

Whenever I click my desktop, the "Macintosh HD" icon will have this black border surrounding the icon of the hard drive and text below it. This just started. I rebooted (again, coming from Windows this is usually a solution) but it's still there. Any ways to stop the border. This is different from having the icon selected, in fact, it can be highlighted (selected) and still have this border.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Sounds like a label has been set. Just right-click (ctrl-click) on the icon, select label->none.

TEG

3. rwskemer thread starter macrumors regular

The label is already set to "X" or off...

It's not a change in color, it's a square border surrounding the entire icon with the text below it. If I click on another icon on the desktop it'll move that border there. I also saw a large rectangle of the same border in the middle of my screen. It was shaped like the outline of the alert box that shows up if you are exiting Firefox and tabs are still open...

4. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

5. rwskemer thread starter macrumors regular

How do I post the screen grab here?

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I'd suggest first reparing permissions. The only thing that this might be is some sort of Accibility Option that allows for either mouse keys or keyboard navigation.

TEG

7. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Command + F5, should get rid of it ;)
    or activate it...........

8. rwskemer thread starter macrumors regular

not an accessibility issue. still repairing permissions. it seems that whatever field or icon is active ahs the black box. if i do cmd I only the inspector window has the black outline. any other ideas?

9. rwskemer thread starter macrumors regular

wow! that worked. what feature is that?

10. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

i think it's called 'mess with your mind black box',
    It activates voiceover, your Mac tells you what your doing ;)

11. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

yeah i just tryin activating it, thats freakin sweet, my mac starting reading out loud everything I had on my desktop. VERY neat. Plus with leopard's new Alex synthesized voice whihc almost sounds realistic it sounded freakin sweet. I meet use that more often.

12. rwskemer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone! I keep turning weird features on when I press the wrong shortcuts! Still trying the Windows shortcuts on here, as most are the same. Sometimes I get into trouble!