Strange brightness/color/tint issue on iMac Retina

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jayco1983, Nov 3, 2014.

1. jayco1983 macrumors newbie

When I wake my iMac Retina up from sleep, it does two things:

First, the brightness seems to adjust – whether or not I use the automatic setting – a second or two after waking the computer up.

A few seconds after that, there seems to be a slight shift in the color tone, it gets warmer or more yellow. Mind you, white color still looks white, but overall the hue is a bit warmer and less blue.

I haven't changed any color profiles or anything like that. Furthermore, this only seem to occur when the iMac's been in sleep mode for a at least 10-15 minutes or longer.

2. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

That's just Yosemite. Mine does this too. But I didn't notice any color changing.

3. jayco1983 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not a large color shift by any means, it's a slight change in the tone. I wouldn't know it was there unless I could actually see when it happens. The thing is, I'm trying to find out if this is either a software or a hardware issue. I don't want the computer to crap out on me in a few months time.

4. ra004e macrumors regular

I see the same behavior on mine as well, I do have a custom profile and 295x. I just unchecked Automatically adjust brightness in System > Display preferences. I think it might have just made a difference. Will keep an eye on it. Did you say you tried that?

5. FredT2 macrumors 6502

I just tried unchecking auto brightness, but it still behaves the same way.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Warming up maybe? I use professional monitors for colour accurate work, and they say never do any editing for the first 15 minutes.

Buy yourself a ColorMunki display or i1 pro display if you are concerned about colour.

7. jayco1983 thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you guys talking about the brightness adjustment or the color tone? I did try removing automatic adjustment of brightness. The same thing happens, no matter if I use another color profile or the standard one or change.

I did see someone on the apple support forums say that this color tint resolved itself after a few days and didn't occur anymore, which is a bit odd I guess. Still happens for me though.

I'm concerned about possibly faulty hardware.

8. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

It's perfectly normal guys. It's just the system loading up the colour profile that's all. It does exactly the same thing on a 2012 iMac.

9. jayco1983 thread starter macrumors newbie

But what's the active color profile before the warmer one is loaded?! :O Like I said, I use the standard iMac color profile, so I don't understand why it'd would load it unless another color profile is active just when the computer wakes up..?

I hope you're right, though.

10. ra004e macrumors regular

Yeah still happening, I am using x-rite display 1 pro to create custom color profile. If what your saying is correct I just haven't noticed this on any of my other macs, this is first iMac. 2012 mini doesn't do this with calibrated Dell monitor. No biggie just mentioning it if any one is counting. My bigger complaints right now are clouding and screen color uniformity.

11. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

I am not surprised by this behaviour. The native response of the panel is probably not 2.2 gamma nor D65, so I would imagine it loads up some internal profile that gets the colour and gamma somewhere near.

12. jayco1983 thread starter macrumors newbie

By the way, when you said your mac does it too, did you mean adjust the brightness or that you could see a slight shift in tint towards a warmer tone?

13. ra004e macrumors regular

I can see a slight shift in tint towards a warmer tone.

14. jayco1983 thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, like 5-7 second after waking up from sleep mode?

15. ra004e macrumors regular

For me it's a it's a bit quicker, there's like a 1-2 second a ramp up to the current set brightness, .5-1 second pause, then change in color.

16. jayco1983 thread starter macrumors newbie

You got a SSD in your mac?

17. ra004e macrumors regular

Yes, it's an SSD

18. jayco1983 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, because I've got a fusion drive. So if this issue stems from maybe loading a profile or setting from the harddrive, that could explain the difference in time between..?

19. FredT2 macrumors 6502

I seriously doubt that. All of the system files are certainly on the SSD portion.

20. jayco1983 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I guess they should be.

21. jayco1983 thread starter macrumors newbie

Still don't know whether or not this is something I should try to replace the iMac for or not..

22. jayco1983 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's an image showing the color right after wake up (left), and then right after the tone change some 6-8 seconds later (right pic).

[​IMG]

23. Serban Suspended

after waking from the sleep or wake up just the display, it comes at low bright and after 1 sec come to the bright for the room, and thats it on mine
    i think it works just fine...the apple chip must charge the pixels to the right brightness and colour that you set

24. ra004e macrumors regular

On my 2nd riMac, 1st one had panel issues. This one is base and does the same thing. So I don't think replacing it will fix the issue.

A quick note as you asked me before. Of my two riMacs I've had, the 1st one ( CTO ) had i5/295x/255SSD and seemed to be much faster going through issue you are describing ( 1-2 secs ) my 2nd iMac is base and exhibits same behavior as yours ( 4-7 sec ) .

I also will mention that I spilt my fusion drive up so system is on "pure" ssd and still takes same amount of time as stock fusion drive. So I don't think SSD is the issue.

I did check to make sure proper color profile was loaded after wake up, as I use a custom profile created from my x-rite i1 display Pro and it seemed correct. Hope this helps.

25. hbala77 macrumors newbie

normal behavior

Hi, I have a imac 5k , and I have the same issue. When it wakes up after a few minutes , the screen gets brighter then it changes its tone to a warmer yellowish tinge. So it must be normal.
    At first I thought it to be faulty hardware as well till I read this thread.