Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sebastian132

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2015
Hi guys,

Since today my Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) is making a strange buzzing sound every few seconds. It goes in the same interval. 4 seconds silence, 1 second buzzing.

Video of the location and sound:

https://vid.me/XlXG

I tried the diagnostics and it brings up this:

There may be an issue with the fan. PPF004 / PPF003

Is it the fan? And how severe is this problem?

Sebastian132

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2015
Hi guys,

Since today my Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) is making a strange buzzing sound every few seconds. It goes in the same interval. 4 seconds silence, 1 second buzzing.

Video of the location and sound:

https://vid.me/XlXG

I tried the diagnostics and it brings up this:

There may be an issue with the fan. PPF004 / PPF003

Is it the fan? And how severe is this problem?

New info:

according to smcFanControl is my right fan not working. 0 rpm.

sebseb

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2014
New info:

according to smcFanControl is my right fan not working. 0 rpm.

well thats not good! take it to apple or replace the fan yourself. ifixit.com has tutorials on how to do that. And I think the noise seems like the fan is stuck and its trying to spin. Maybe open it up and with a can of air clean it and see if it helps. Otherwise it could be a ball bearing issue or maybe the motor just died and you need to replace the fan itself.

Sebastian132

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2015
well thats not good! take it to apple or replace the fan yourself. ifixit.com has tutorials on how to do that. And I think the noise seems like the fan is stuck and its trying to spin. Maybe open it up and with a can of air clean it and see if it helps. Otherwise it could be a ball bearing issue or maybe the motor just died and you need to replace the fan itself.

Found the culprit. After keeping my Macbook upside down and shaking it a bit I heard a crackling sound. After that I heard something like a screw rolling over the unibody bottom of the macbook. If I move it left and right you can hear it rolling over the bottom. Fan working correctly again, no problems. Is this even possibly? having a loose screw or something similar getting stuck in a fan?

How bad is it? Can a losse screw cause a shortcut or something?

sebseb

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2014
Found the culprit. After keeping my Macbook upside down and shaking it a bit I heard a crackling sound. After that I heard something like a screw rolling over the unibody bottom of the macbook. If I move it left and right you can hear it rolling over the bottom. Fan working correctly again, no problems. Is this even possibly? having a loose screw or something similar getting stuck in a fan?

How bad is it? Can a losse screw cause a shortcut or something?

yup it can! it's metal. TURN IT OFF NOW!!! and open the back and shake it a bit and see if you can get it out. Then check where you might find a missing screw hole, if you dont find any, then maybe it got in from the vents or while manufacturing it was left inside!

Reactions: Samuelsan2001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.