strange calls on my iphone since I bought

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Sossity, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I recently bought an iphone 3gs jaibroken & unlocked from ebay from a seller with a good rating.

I have since signed on with T-Mobile with a pay as you go plan, complete with my new cell number.

I have been getting missed odd calls from around the country, one from texas, one from Illinois.

I have not given my new number to anybody but my mother & father. Only they & T-Mobile have this number, or at least these are the only people so far whom I have given it to.

2. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

telemarketers. i get a few, usually texas or oregon, that sort of thing (i'm on the east coast.

if you google the numbers, you'll probably find people posting about sales pitches, etc...

3. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

|If its like the uk sometimes the re use numbers to so there a chance your number already out there i had this problem on vodafone in the uk and had to change my number as i got people ringing my phone alot and i didn't have a clue who they were after

4. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

how do I get them to stop calling? my phone is getting filled with these odd calls.

5. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I'd just change your number, you got someone's old number that was on all the call lists. You can fight that one at a time or jump to a new number.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I'm from Canada and I get them from all over the US, Texas, Illinois, Florida, Oregon, Cali

Even stranger when I get them from within Canada they always ask for the same person (not me of course) so I reversed lookup my cell number and it gives a result of the name they are always asking for so it looks like someone use to have my number even though I've had the same one for 10 years, very strange

7. Jakerz macrumors regular

Add your number to the Do Not Call list.
    https://www.donotcall.gov/
    Next time you get a call from them, answer and tell them that you number is on the list. They will remove your number from their system.

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

since I added my number to the do not call list I get more calls. :rolleyes: my advice is get Number Guru from the app store Number Guru Link it's Free I got it while back and it's great for looking up numbers. 1st I ignore calls I don't know. 2nd I copy it into the app to see who it is. works very well except a few cell carriers that don't give out information. I also agree you might have to end up changing your number if it's to bad.

9. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Given how long mobile phones have been out, how is it strange that somebody had a mobile phone before you with the same number? FFS...

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

no the strange part to me is when i reverse lookup my own number i get the result of the name they always ask for, if i have had the number for 10 years, i figured the database that existed 11 years ago when he had the number would be updated

11. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I'm guessing (and hoping) that you've jailbroken the iPhone since you're posting in this forum. If that is the case, check out iBlacklist found in Cydia. You can just blacklist any numbers that you don't want calls from and give those callers a busy signal, answer then hang up, send them to voicemail... It's pretty handy if you get a lot of crap calls. Those calls won't appear in your regular call history and your phone doesn't actually ring.

Look into it if you don't want to / can't change your number.