Strange Chinese things in front row on leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NicP, Oct 26, 2007.

1. NicP macrumors 6502

In front row under the music section I have 2 strange items that appear to be in Chinese or Japanese. When i click them I am presented with a list of 10 audio clips that are streamed from the applestore (it says contacting apple store and i can see network activity to a1548.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net and ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.ne)

Any ideas on why these are here? Or how to make them go away?

Please see attached image

Attached Files:

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

It's Japanese, perhaps you have used the Japanese Music Store (go to iTunes, click on the store, and load the American store instead), or perhaps your in Japan and it's seen your IP and thinks your Japanese, so it's basically loading the Japanese movie trailers site isn't it ?

3. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Hmmm... that's Japanese.

Can't help you but I can tell you what it says :D

iTunes Top Song
    iTunes Top Music [possibly Video?!, it trails off)

4. NicP thread starter macrumors 6502

They play 30 second audio clips, no video, so they aren't movie trailers. The I reside in Australia and my iTunes is setup for the Australian music store. All my localization preferences seam to be correctly set too. Thanks for your ideas tho!

5. NicP thread starter macrumors 6502

So for some reason I have the japanese top music. Do other people have correct versions say for the Australia itunes store?

6. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Well it's obviously something to do with the Japanese store. I have my iTunes on the Australian store right now too and I don't get that when I enter Front Row.

It's the top 10 songs and music videos, as you've probably guessed. Not sure why your getting the Japanese store though, mighty odd.

7. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Is it a bad thing? Nothing like listening to a little bit of J-pop to push our own atrocious pop into the realms of acceptable. :p

Out of curiosity, have you ever visited the Japanese iTunes store? It is very odd though.

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I somehow find the shamelessness of J-pop so much more tolerable than most other pop music. There's not even the pretension of Serious Music.

9. NicP thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, i tried changing my store from australia to something else and back, but it wont let me do it because i have store credit.

Also, the jap songs that appear in front row are absolutely awful.

10. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Really?! I found it novel for the first few times but when in a department store with J-pop blaring, I started to feel numb and crazy. I have been told there's great stuff out there but I got the impression that the bigwigs find an attractive guy or girl and from there go "hmmm.... let's make you a singer!"

All that said though, I think it's quite admirable that the Japanese music scene is still strong at home as hasn't been devoured by American pop like some other countries.

11. madblueplanet macrumors newbie

I have the SAME problem. Weird. I have it set to the U.S Itunes store, I tried switching it around, and nothing changes, it stays on the Japanese one. I even changed the language of the whole OS to French, restarted Front Row. Everything was in French...except the iTunes store part, which was still in Japanese.

12. NicP thread starter macrumors 6502

I fixed the problem by signing in and out of the itunes store. Killing the frontrow process in activity monitor. And then deleting the frontrow preferences file (com.apple.frontrow) from ~/library/preferences

13. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

Ok, i'm going crazy here...

I can not for the life of me find a preference file related to frontrow.

My Library\Preferences\ jumps from com.apple.driver.AppleIRController to com.apple.headerdoc.exampletocteplate with no com.apple.frontrow in sight :confused:

Can anyone point out what i'm doing wrong?

14. NicP thread starter macrumors 6502

are u looking at the library in your user folder?

15. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

heh. No. :rolleyes:

Thanks. I know it was going to be something annoyingly simple :)

edit: That said, It is now coming up with the US Store. Anyone know what the "MusicStoreFrontID" is for the aussie one? ;)

16. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Sweetness! Yeah, I just ran into the same freakin thing and it was driving me crazy!!! I knew I kept you people around for a reason! (KIDDING!!!)

Seriously, thats why I love this site. You guys rock!

:apple::D:apple:

17. foidulus macrumors 6502a

18. plopy macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I had exactly the same problem, but removing the com.apple.frontrow preference file fixed it.

Thanks NicP!

19. ElCambo macrumors regular

Hey, I do not have an itunes account so I can't log in/out and i don't have the com.apple.frontrow thing in my library/preferences.

How can I get rid of this japanese stuff!

20. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Trash
    Code:
    /Users/"Your username"/Library/Preferences/com.apple.frontrow.plist
    then reopen FrontRow

21. Chapps macrumors newbie

Oh, this is insane. With the recent update to Front Row, I now get the German version. Yes, my iTunes store is set to the U.S., and it was just this recent update that changed Front Row to German.

Also, I have no com.apple.frontrow file anywhere on my computer - not in the Preferences folder or anywhere else on my machine (did a full computer-wide search).

Any other ideas?

:(