Strange Choppy Behavior?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kirkbross, Mar 10, 2009.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I am running 10.5.6 on 2008 mac pro with 8GB RAM and have been experiencing "extremely" slow, choppy response suddenly in the past day. When I drag a window around the screen, it's choppy and stuttered and when I press and hold a key like thisssssssssssss, the repeat rate is super slow and uneven, even though I have it at the fastest setting. Also, I'm a fairly fast typer and as I type, words come out in spurts, like there is a latency issue.

Is it perhaps a memory or graphics issue? I'm wondering also if it could be related to an app called "Onyx" I recently installed, or some other application running in the background sapping resources. It's very disturbing and reminiscent of a new PC before you install the video drivers. Is there a way to check processes that may be running on startup, like AutoRuns for PCs?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

To check startup items, go to System preferences -> Accounts -> (select your user account) -> Login items.

To see processes which might be hogging resources, go to Utilities -> Activity Monitor (alternatively, launch Terminal and type "top" without the quotes at the command prompt).

3. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Thanks. I actually had forgot about the 3rd party mouse driver I use, Steermouse, which runs at login -- I unchecked it, restarted and the problem went away. The app is a year old so it's probably not happy with the laster Leopard build.