Strange Click sound whenever i MOVE my MB Pro :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by becuro88, Sep 2, 2010.

1. becuro88 macrumors newbie

First of all, i'm not a native English speaker, so im sory for my bad language :D

i bought my 2010 model 15" MB pro about a month ago, and i started to hear clicking sounds from right side when i shake it. so i googled it and saw everyone has that issue, and everyone was saying that the sound comes from motion sensor, to protect the harddisk. then i said ' well, it is normal ' and forgot about it. but, since a week ago, that sound started again - but in a different way. first, i heard it when i MOVE my mb pro. second, i started to hear it when i push the back of MB pro lightly, and now, that stupid sound came whenever i TOUCH the back of laptop >( and not only from right side: WHEREVER I PUSH. It is like the case moves down, and touches something in the computer. i know i cant explain well, but this is the best i can :( like the case is a "soft" thing and it "can twist" down and touch the harddrive, the memory, or whatever inside the computer :) usually, it wouldnt be a big problem to me, but im afraid of the possibility of the case may harm my hardware.

question is simple: what is this thing, and what can i do?

please help :(

2. thankins macrumors 6502

Does it sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJmpervXe9M

I had the same issues and removed the part in question and now have a dead slient computer

See this post

http://tenonedesign.com/blog/fix-your-macbook-pro-like-a-champ/

3. becuro88 thread starter macrumors newbie

well, it sounds like unibody touches something inside :) and sound doesnt come from only there, it comes from wherever i push in the back side of laptop. :(

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Most likely the sudden motion sensor on your hard drive being triggered, what you are hearing is probably the heads of the hard drive parking themselves to prevent damage to the disc. On some hard drives it is over sensitive. 13'' MBP's has a major problem with those about a year back, I don't remember how it was fixed.

5. becuro88 thread starter macrumors newbie

all right, thanks everybody, at least it probably wont harm my hardware. i'll get use to live with it :)

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

It happens to mine too. Don't worry, its just the hard drive head parking.

7. CW Jones macrumors 6502

Hard drive is just parking itself with sudden (and most time not so sudden) movement. Its a little over sensitive if you ask me though.

Makes it so you won't ruin your hard drive if you drop it. Parking it all the time is not great for the drive though as its a very sudden stop.

8. iwanevans macrumors newbie

Genius Bar?

has anyone been to the genius bar to ask about this problem? :confused:

I have it too ;)

9. CW Jones macrumors 6502

Yes, I went about 2 months after I got mine. And what I wrote, was basically exactly what they told me. Its totally normal.

10. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

11. CW Jones macrumors 6502

Doesn't seem like the same sound. As mine ONLY happens when it is moved suddenly. So it might not be a fix for him/her. Also... removing a ground... ya pass on that one. I don't care if there are "plenty" of others on it, if there were truly "plenty" of others why would they add that one? Sure it might be "safe" but why risk it. Its there for a reason.

Edit: This IS the hard drive clicking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V_S45q0mrg&feature=related
    (what it sounds like, not saying its the OP's sound)

12. Yossarian macrumors member