Strange clicking noise when closing AluBook...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by smwatson, Jul 19, 2009.

1. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

When I go to close it, it makes a noticeable clicking then shuts as normal. If I leave it in a partially closed position for a few seconds, it clicks again when I shut it.

Obviously something is getting stuck or jammed but I can't see what it is or which bit of the hinge it's stuck in...

Any ideas?

2. miiles macrumors regular

Just to be 100% clear, it is a mechanical noise, and not one being put out by the speakers?

Does the clicking happen if you close it fast? How about really slow? Can you tell if it is being made by a certain side of the computer? (determine where it is coming from specifically)

EDIT: Also, does the noise happen when you open it?

3. al82 macrumors regular

Funny mine makes a clicking noise when opening it. Yet if i open and shut it 3-4 times in a row it'll only do it the first time.

4. viperguy macrumors 6502

viperguy

Mine also has this clicking noise when closing the lid!!
    It's very annoying, I must say... But I don't see a way to fix it that doesn't involve sending it to Apple, but in this case I can live with it the way it is :p

5. smwatson thread starter macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Definite mechanical noise.

Doesn't happen when I open it, which is strange. I'm 99% sure it's the right hand side of the hinge bit. Happens when closing at all speeds really.

Not a major issue, just wondering if anyone else had a similar thing; and it appears they do.

6. NStocks macrumors 65816

I've got this problem too. My 17" Unibody makes a loud clicking noise as if it's catching on something, the whole bezel also creaks, which may not be too bad but it could develop into something far worse.

I sent it in to Apple a week ago and called them today, they told me a screen assembley has been ordered, I should get it back this week... ( is a screen assembley just he hinge and frame, not the actual LCD ? )

If the noise continues when I get it back, I'll be requesting a replacement as it's not even 6 months old... Also my magsafe is very loose ( they was suppose to ship me a new one 10 days ago ) and the Wi-Fi kept dropping, but we'll see what happens ( I'm well educated for the Sales of Goods Act :) )

7. ahjjones Guest

I have this too. It's like a weird creaking noise. I just hope the hinge dosen't break.

8. viperguy macrumors 6502

viperguy

Tell us if your replacement solves the problem when it arrives

9. Nintenmac macrumors newbie

The screen assembly is the entire screen (lcd, hinge, bezel, aluminum back) also when you get it back check the alignment of the screen (the black hinge piece should line up with the aluminum bottom case along the side and when you move your fingers along the side you shouldn't feel any ridge between the screen and the body) because from my experience the screen and the body can be misaligned quite easily.

10. smwatson thread starter macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Problem solved!

Well, I think I know what it is anyway.

If you open it so the screen is about 45 degrees, then flip it over so you're looking as if you were looking down the spine of a book. The black plastic hinge bit is actually made up of two bits of plastic stuck together. On one side, these two bits have come apart by a millimeter or so, which I *think* is what is making the noise when they're pushed against each other. Check both sides for a comparison (assuming the noise is only coming from one end of the hinge).

I'm going to try squirting a tiny bit of superglue in the gap and pushing it back down...

11. ahjjones Guest

I wouldn't do that :eek: If Apple sees superglue it may give them an excuse to not repair the screen, casing, etc later on.

12. caonimadebi macrumors regular

mine came back slightly misaligned like you described! I had the same clicking noise on my 13" uMB, and had the entire screen assembly replaced by Apple warranty repair. But now the right sides feels/seems protruding out. Did you send it back in? Is Apple gonna give me the "cosmetic" excuse if i take it in?

thanks

13. viperguy macrumors 6502

viperguy

These 2 pictures (sorry for quality, taken on a n95) show the misalignment on my uMB. The left side is a lot closer to the aluminum than the right side is, and I believe this is the cause of the noise.
    is it covered by the warranty? Should I take it to Apple?

Attached Files:

14. ahjjones Guest

To be honest, I think they'd most likely laugh at you and call it a "User perception issue"

15. NStocks macrumors 65816

Really :(. I didn't want/need the LCD replacing because I calibrated it with a extremley good and pricey calibrator ( which I don't own anymore ), so that it matches my printer... if it's a new LCD the profiles will be different.

When I contacted AppleCare they said that it will just be the case that will need re-aligning, I guess the repair people think otherwise ( but they are the technicians so they will know )

When I get it back ( should be this week, going to call today and see if it's fixed yet ), I will be checking everything, scratches, alignment, the Wi-Fi and bluetooth work and the camera as these are all in/close to the screen assembley. I would have really liked a replacement, but if there are any issues with this one, I will try and get a new one :p..

Thanks for your help.

16. NStocks macrumors 65816

:mad::mad: I called Group 8 who are repairing my Macbook Pro, yesterday they told me the part is in stock and they will get it tomorrow. Today they have just told me that it's out of stock and they won't be getting one until mid-next week.

Is there anything I can do i.e get something from Apple :p... I already told them that I can't wait more than 10 days and they said that it won't be that long as I have College work to do.

I know it's a somewhat major repair, but would Apple be kind enough to cancel the repair and give me a new unit ? :eek: I know, I'm dreaming right.

17. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

The hinge on my unibody is the same !!

And also the notebook pops open if you carry it in the closed position.....i am finding it very annoying.....

18. ahjjones Guest

I love how some of you feel so deserving of a replacement. Trust me, apple will do everything they can not to replace your unit. Suck it up like you would with any other product. I can just see it now, "Yes, my muffler has been acting up lately, Can I get my car replaced?"

19. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Apple wont replace your MB for a creaky hinge............

20. viperguy macrumors 6502

viperguy

I don't want a replacement, just a fix for this annoying cracking sound =x