Strange clicking noise...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Weissee, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Weissee macrumors newbie

Hello, I have a black 13 inch macbook and i seem to be having hardware issues.

After closing my macbook into sleep mode, the apple light on top stays lit and the computer itself makes a strange clicking sound. I tried to avoid the problem by never putting it into sleep mode and completely shutting it down after using it, but i still get the noise. Occasionally, while in use, the computer will freeze and it will start making the clicking noise.

To get it to stop, i have to shut the computer down by holding the power button down, or literally bang on the computer with my hand.

I have friends with macbooks who have never heard of anything like what i am experiencing, and i don't know enough about computer hardware to narrow the problem down myself. I would appreciate any help or advice, so i dont have to barbarically beat my computer anymore.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. Weissee thread starter macrumors newbie

theres not much of value in my memory, i mostly use my macbook for internet purposes.

And like i said, i dont know much and i could be wrong, but it seems to be coming from the back near the cooling fan or disk drive. but i highly doubt it has anything to do with the fan bacause the clicking isnt rapid and comes up when the fan isnt on.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It's still a good idea to make a backup to avoid losing your settings and such.

If you don't use the computer for much other than internet, you shouldn't need an expensive hard drive. You can get a ~160 GB drive for $60 these days.