Strange crack on screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Apr 4, 2017.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

IMG_0645.JPG IMG_0646.JPG First I'll preface my post with....Apple has always been great to me, and they have replaced devices for me or for my family when they didn't have to. I have no issue with paying for a screen repair on my phone.

The other day I noticed a strange crack on my screen. I have no recollection on dropping this phone. It was recently replaced by Apple for a button issue (2-3 weeks ago). The crack is in the lower left corner but it doesn't actually touch the corner. My phone is always in a case and the crack is one solitary crack. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Kind of hard to see. In the second image is that the screen that is scuffed or reflection from flash.

Apple might take care of if there is no impact damage on the side of the phone near the crack.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's faint, but there. It starts at the bottom left edge and curves down and to the right to the bottom.

OP, take it to Apple and see what they say.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Yep, now I see it. It curves to the right at the corner. Looks like a stress crack and not from impact. She did have them work on her phone a week or so ago.

Hope Apple handles it.

5. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

You must see a reflection or something. The screen is otherwise perfect.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 4, 2017 ---
    They didn't work on my phone.. they just gave me a new one for the previous issue.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Considering how difficult it is to see the crack in your photos it's quite possible that the crack was missed by everyone involved in the quality inspection process - including the Apple 'genius' who gave you the phone.

7. jtara macrumors 65816

When they "gave you a new phone" they probably didn't.

They almost certainly gave you a remanufactured phone. It's likely they missed this in QA or there was some assembly mistake that put pressure on the screen, previous unknown damage to a screen they thought was good, etc.

Make an appointment and give it a go. Apple is pretty good about this stuff.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's well documented that replacements are 'remanufactured', except for replacements of the current model when it's brand new of course.

But with all that Apple does in remanufacturing a device they are comparable to new. I've often found them to be better than the original device.

I think the nature of the crack in this instance is what allowed it to be missed during quality testing.

9. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Then if that's the case, Apple should be forgiving in this situation and replace the device, assuming the OP is being honest and no other damage is noted. Apple will right the wrong if this due on their behalf.

10. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'll make an appt for next week perhaps to see what they will do. I'll update:).

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very strange crack for sure.
    Crack is whack:D

12. marjudo, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

marjudo macrumors newbie

marjudo

Strange crack. It could impact the backlighting at this point. Keep an eye on it.

13. Chazzle macrumors 6502a

Chazzle

I see the crack very clearly. Doesn't look like something Apple would miss. Classic crack that happens if you sit on your phone while it's in your back pocket (stress fracture). OP, is that something that may have happened or do you not partake in that habit?

14. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't sit on my phone. I do put it in my back pocket but there's no way I can sit on it. As a female, that wouldn't work with my pants. I have put phones in my back pocket since the first iPhone and never had an issue. I have had all models of the plus phones and not had the issue then either. Not sure how it happened.

15. Chazzle macrumors 6502a

Chazzle

So you remove your phone from your back pocket before you sit down?

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's what happens with flexing and stress is put on the glass especially a device with such large screen. My guess is that's how it broke.
    You dont need to sit on it to break it.
    But good luck with whatever happens, if you're lucky Apple might replace the screen for free. But from now on I wouldn't suggest putting it in your back pocket in the future.

17. tl01, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017

tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

Of course.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 9, 2017 ---
    I have zero issues paying for the screen...and that won't change my habits. As I have said, Apple has been more than generous to me and to my family in replacing devices when they didn't have to. And even if they hadn't, I believe in personal responsibility and would have no issue with replacing it. I was just surprised when I saw the crack. I don't believe it happened from being in my pants since I put my phone there like 30 times a day and have for the past many years since I got the original iPhone. So, if it only breaks once every ten thousand times a year I put it on my pocket during a year...it's a risk I'll take. I have apple care plus on all of my iOS devices.

18. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Then I look at this like you least have AppleCare for all your devices, regardless of how the crack was formed by being in and out of your pocket, even as minimal as it is.

19. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, and like I said, I was just wondering if anyone else had had such a crack or had an idea of how it happened and when I usually crack a screen it is because it was dropped and I can identify when it happened. I know I haven't dropped this one yet. There are zero marks on the phone...screen or metal etc. I started it all with saying I am happy to pay and I have an appt for this afternoon to bring it in to pay for the screen to be replaced. I simply don't believe my stretchy jeans had the ability to do this..as they stretch. The phone is way stronger than my jeans.

20. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Regardless, how minor it is, it could be a fracture From pressure. I only say this being how small it is. I know you don't believe it happened from being in your pockets, but just the right pressure in a specific area, could have easily caused this. It's my opinion, being it doesn't look like this was caused from a drop more than it does from being pressure related.

A drop would show more off a spider web effect, where this looks like a hairline crack.

21. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

Maybe it was from my pants but the way I put my phone in my pocket...(bc I have an iRing on the back of my case and have for years)... that corner sticks out of my pocket...it is essentially not touched. Maybe it is from my pocket. Guess I will never know.

22. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

Screen replacement for free. I offered to pay three times but he said there was no sign of damage and that cracks can happen spontaneously without phone being dropped.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You got lucky. Apple has awesome customer service and went the extra mile for you.
    No other phone manufacturer can come close to that level of support.

24. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have said that a million times...going back to 2001 when they replaced my mac book pro G4 or whatever it was called in the last month of the extended warranty because they couldn't fix it after two lengthy stays with Apple.

25. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I support Apple for two reasons, they make excellent products and their customer service has never failed me where in areas that other companies/retailers might have.