Strange crunching noise in 15" rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Heli0s, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Heli0s macrumors newbie

I was carrying my new 15" from one room to another when I noticed a disconcerting noise coming from inside the computer. It is a light "crunching" noise with an occasional metallic "ping" that sounds as if a board is fractured or multiple components are rubbing together. It seems to happen with even the slightest pressure on the bottom of the computer towards the Macbook Pro logo (even when placing the computer on an open palm.) Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

2. Beecker macrumors member

Beecker

Is it possible you might have set it on something that made its way underneath your MBP? Or did you set it down kinda hard that might have shook something lose? Your MBP shouldn't be making any kinda noise like that. The only dBA you should be hearing are the fans and maybe if you set your head on it the HDD.

3. Heli0s thread starter macrumors newbie

I have babying it since I got it just a couple days ago, no setting down hard or resting it on anything other than my lap or open palm. Guess I'll have to take it back and get an exchange.

4. Beecker macrumors member

Beecker

Yeah if it's still under applecare let them fix it. I would say if it wasn't, then turn it off and un screw the bottom to see if there is anything that falls out or you see something out of place.

5. fs454 macrumors 65816

Yep. I have this too now after a month of use on my new 15" rMBP. It was rock solid when I got it, so it's a bit weird.

Let us know how it goes if you take it in - it's not very alarming at the moment for me as my Air had the same thing, but I figured three more years and $2800 on a flagship model would mean no creaks or pops. I may pull the bottom off and see what's causing it once I finish traveling.

edit: i definitely have the "crunchy" feeling when I push near the MacBook Pro text as well.

6. Heli0s thread starter macrumors newbie

Took it in today and they said it wasn't normal, and gave me an exchange. The new one they gave me also has this 'crunchy' sound when lightly pressing towards the Macbook Pro text, although to a lesser extent. It seems very strange that this is an issue with both laptops right out of the box with , but the Apple guy I talked to seemed to have never encountered the issue before...

7. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Okay, so, all it is, are metal springs that are part of the logic board that are pressing against the backplate when you press on it. it is NORMAL, and about 75% of macbook's have this.

Also, it is fixable, by trial and error, via removing the backplate and rotating the springs (don't ask me why this fixes it, but it does, sometimes).

8. rgarjr, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The noise comes from the metal heat sink as its directly below the thin cover, just the way the design is on these machines.

Attached Files:

9. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

No, it does not come from the metal heatsink. That is incorrect.