Strange cursor problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by colinmack, Jul 28, 2008.

1. colinmack macrumors regular

Have a strange problem - occasionally my cursor will get into a mode where it's stuck on a shape, and won't revert to the standard mouse pointer - for example, if I hold it over a link it Safari it becomes the hand, but when you move off the link it's stuck as a hand; or if you move over a text box it becomes the text cursor, but stays as that cursor instead of reverting to the standard pointer/arrow when you move it away.

Rebooting will clear it up for a while, and sometimes logging out other users (instead of fast switching like we normally do) will clear it up, but it's happening more often - anybody seen this before and have a solution? Running 10.5.4 if it makes a difference.

Thanks, Colin.

2. nout72 macrumors regular

nout72

Yep I know what you mean.
    It's a common bug, I had this with Panther and Tiger as well.

Nothing to worry about though, it doesn't interfere with anything, as you probably have found out yourself.
    When for instance the cursor is stuck as a text cursor it is still possible to click links and when the cursor is supposed to morph into a text cursor (in a write box on a message board for instance) but isn't, it still lets you edit text etc.

It only happens occasionally with me on some websites, loading another site or going to one which is already open in another tab always 'cures' this behavior.

3. colinmack thread starter macrumors regular

Glad I'm not alone...

For me, it's not just within Safari - when it happens, the cursor is stuck no matter which application I'm in...nothing short of rebooting or closing other users down has resolved it, was hoping there would be some magic bug fix or setting that would help.

Thanks for the note!

4. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Sorry for bringing up an old party..... but has there ever been a fix identified for this? It is rather annoying.

5. philipkim macrumors newbie

Has anyone figured out a solution to this problem? It is driving me nuts!

Some symptoms: The cursor will attach itself to a certain browser tab, continually highlight words of text, and some more problems. It's quite strange and quite annoying...

And in response to nout72, it does interfere with a normal usage of my mac!

6. des421 macrumors newbie

Just wondering if you got any hekp on this? I've had the same problem. It is very frustrating!

7. Flyer729 macrumors newbie

I have the problem

I have the same problem as well. The estrange thing is that it doesn't happen on my macbook, only on my imac. I hope this gets fixed when Lion comes out.