Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckeyser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
Hey all,

I might be going legitimately crazy here but I've noticed this strange discolored blob on my screen if I activate Siri from the lock screen. I've uploaded a screen shot I took. I don't think a screenshot would capture any physical defects but I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on there. Has anybody else seen this on their phone? It's bugging the crap out of me.

The blob in question is in the top left hand quadrant of the screen, under the "Hey Siri" and below to about halfway.

Any input would be appreciated.

fullsizeoutput_2cc.jpeg

ckeyser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
Yes, yes that is what it is, but it doesn't answer my question. That big dark spot is normal or is there something wrong with the iPhone X screen? (outlined for reference)
IMG_0004_02.jpeg

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
If you change the wallpaper, the blob will disappear. There are a few threads discussing the wallpaper causing a weird effect when it’s blurred or transparent

ckeyser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
If you change the wallpaper, the blob will disappear. There are a few threads discussing the wallpaper causing a weird effect when it’s blurred or transparent

Thank god. So it is a software issue. Any links to those threads? Just to ease my troubled mind?

ckeyser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
It’s not really a software issue either. It’s not an issue at all.

It's a flaw. It looks terrible. Just another bit of slop Apple's let out the door because the don't care about quality any more.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's a flaw. It looks terrible. Just another bit of slop Apple's let out the door because the don't care about quality any more.
It wouldn't have much to do with quality if it's something that is by design.

Last edited:

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
It only happens with that specific live wallpaper. Normal wallpapers don't have this issue. Also, when you restart your phone the issue with this wallpaper is also gone.... temporarily :)

Reactions: SDColorado

ckeyser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
It only happens with that specific live wallpaper. Normal wallpapers don't have this issue. Also, when you restart your phone the issue with this wallpaper is also gone.... temporarily :)

That is true. Overall I'm happy to know it's not something wrong with the device. The first time I noticed it I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was happening there.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England

You’re being ridiculous. Why would you be staring at the Siri screen anyway? If you had the phone that close to you just perform the task yourself.

I had to stare really hard to even have a remote clue of what you were talking about. I don’t see an issue. I see somebody deliberately trying to find things to complain about.

Let it go.

gahig ulo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2017
riverside california
Hey all,

I might be going legitimately crazy here but I've noticed this strange discolored blob on my screen if I activate Siri from the lock screen. I've uploaded a screen shot I took. I don't think a screenshot would capture any physical defects but I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on there. Has anybody else seen this on their phone? It's bugging the crap out of me.

The blob in question is in the top left hand quadrant of the screen, under the "Hey Siri" and below to about halfway.

fullsizeoutput_2cc.jpeg
yup nothing to worry about,as other stated alot of threads already discussed this.it usually visible when you have passcode and try to type-in instead of faceid you can clearly see it esp. on brighter yellow wallpaper.

Wrznlmw

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2018
Hey all,

fullsizeoutput_2cc.jpeg
I use the same background and I’ve been noticing this problem too. The strange blob is way more obvious and darker in real life for anyone who’s not experiencing this btw. It doesn’t just happen in Siri but u also see it while multitasking, or swipe up to unlock the phone with Face ID where the screen get darker and says Face ID in the middle. I noticed that this problem is way more noticeable when u turn on night shift.

Jarrodbcall

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2013
Hey all,

fullsizeoutput_2cc.jpeg
I’m glad you posted this! I noticed the same issue with another stock live wallpaper and was worried my screen had an issue. I see the same thing you do in the same spots on that wallpaper. This other wallpaper is the one that I noticed it, as it is even more noticeable there. Do you see something like this?

Attachments

• 93B5D85B-605D-422B-8289-F1F5B26EA148.jpeg
    93B5D85B-605D-422B-8289-F1F5B26EA148.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 500

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I’m glad you posted this! I noticed the same issue with another stock live wallpaper and was worried my screen had an issue. I see the same thing you do in the same spots on that wallpaper. This other wallpaper is the one that I noticed it, as it is even more noticeable there. Do you see something like this?

They posted it over a year ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.