Strange day.....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by skinnylegs, Mar 19, 2008.

1. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

.....at the Apple Store at Fashion Valley in San Diego.

I brought a couple friends to the Apple Store to show them the ropes and the strangest thing happened. A lady fell to the ground and she looked like she was having a seizure but she was way too animated and making very very loud noises. I should mention that she was near the *back* of the store. Anyway, everyone instinctively looks over to see what's going on. About 15 seconds later, a lady near the *front* of the store screams out, "That dude just ran off with two computers!" Well, the whole thing was very surreal but it didn't take long to figure out that these two people were obviously working as a team. She distracts and he grabs the merchandise and high-tails it. Of course, they can't *prove* the lady had anything to do with it so I'm sure she just walks away. Dude ended up snagging a MBP and a MB. The weirdest thing is that for the life of me, I can't figure out why he didn't snag a MBA which was only inches away. LOL

Strange stuff.....

2. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

ah yes-- the team shoplift...what fun!

wondering how he got away since the computers most likely had some type of security cable on them and an alarm probably would have sounded as he pulled them out....

3. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

Hmmm :-I ... is all I am after reading this... so... I get all my stuff from the UTC Westfield Store here in San Diego... makes me wonder... I think they do have those locks on the MBP and MB, don't they ??... and there is a Security guard around the entrance closely watching over... so did he snap away those laptop locks/devices ?
    about the ignorance of the MBA, he might have overlooked it.. (you know, they say it's razor thin and gets thrown away by mistake in a pile of magazines)

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

they do have a security thing attached to the power cable ... but i have no idea how they work ...

5. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Interesting story. What a bunch of crooks.

But the question is... did you see the moonwalking bear?

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've seen this happen before. distract employees while the other person runs with the goods. it works sometimes, or well most of the time, shame though.

7. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

ROTLMAO in my Office Cabin !!!!!!!!!!!

8. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I know the lappies have a security cable on them but I'm sure a swift tug will release them. I heard the alarm go off but the noise this lady was making 'kinda drowned every other noise out.

I forgot to mention that within a minute of her fit, the lady was sitting up in a chair and talking. Isn't that convenient.

9. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

I would assume similar to how they work in a clothing store-- attached to some kind of an alarm box and if the connection is broken an alarm sounds-- maybe it was broken:rolleyes:

i would say it worked pretty good in this case:D

10. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I suppose I could Google it but why the reference to a moonwalking bear?

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

he's referencing this:
    http://www.dothetest.co.uk/

12. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

13. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

14. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I'm glad I could be of assistance :)

15. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I would think the store would have a record of the computers that were stolen... don't they have ways of tracking them? I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to apprehend the lamer who stole them..

About the cable locks on the 'puters: I haven't noticed hem locking them up at the Eastview store in Rochester, but maybe I'm just blind