Strange discolouration on my whitebook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by blinkie, Aug 24, 2009.

1. blinkie macrumors regular

Hi. The trackpad button on my whitebook has developed a strange discolouration. The lower half of it has turned grey. This is far to regular a shape to be a stain and it almost looks like it's coming from underneath. It also developed very quickly, not there one evening but there the following day (or maybe my mind is playing tricks). Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know the cause/cure?
    Thanks.
    B

Attached Files:

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Looks like that's the line where your screen bezel touches down when you close the machine.

Maybe the grey color from the bezel transferred on to the button somehow... I don't think they normally touch, but if pressed together I suppose it could happen.

3. seb-opp macrumors 6502

when I read your thread title I thought you were a n00b, but I realised this is something new :p

I agree with the previous post. The discolouration lines up exactly where the top edge of the screen would meet the trackpad button. Maybe your macbook is under pressure sometimes which would squeeze the lid and make it touch the body? Im guessing this could happen when in transport, perhaps in a bag with a load of other things in.

However Im not so sure how this would cause discolouration... you could take it to an Apple store to hopefully get an answer

4. calsci macrumors 6502

calsci

same thing here i believe it is from the bezel. how do you carry you macbook? is it in a backpack with stuff. how you carry it is all about the pressure of the screen on the topcase and vice versa.

5. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

You are right! There is a matching mark, the exact same shape on only the corresponding part of the bezel.
    This did appear last week and last week was the only time I've every carried the computer. It was in an Incase sleeve in my rucksack with nothing else much to cause any indue compression. I could understand this better if it looked like a dirty stain, but instead it seems to be a discolouration (?) I've tried cleaning with a slightly damp white cloth and nothing is transferred. Thinking about it now though, I did put the Apple screen cleaning cloth over the keyboard and that is black. I wonder if somehow the black dye from that cloth has transferred?

6. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

:p maybe i should change the title to

Strange discolouration on my whitebook (NO, NOT WHAT YOU'RE THINKING).