Strange discoloured ring? Am i too picky?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MALmen, Jan 19, 2015.

1. MALmen macrumors member

I recently noticed this discolouration om my MacBook Pro Retina 15" mid 2014. Anyone else noticed somewthing like this? Will warranty cover this? :( It's only 3 months old and almost not used att all (3 charging cycles).

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      436.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4.PNG
      4.PNG
      File size:
      184.3 KB
      Views:
  2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Could be a stain from the moisture / salts in your hand rubbing against it.

3. windywalks macrumors 6502

Put a Magic Eraser sponge to it and maybe some alcohol, should come off. If not, you can try a warranty claim.

4. MALmen thread starter macrumors member

My hand isn't touching that area and i have not typed on it more than an hour so i doubt it, else this is the worst quality ever.

5. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    How does a cosmetic 'mark' on the bottom of the case affect the operation of the machine? Quite worrying.

6. PennCentralFan macrumors regular

PennCentralFan

I have to say yes you are being too picky. You must have inadvertently put some substance or something on the computer which has caused the discoloration.

7. MALmen thread starter macrumors member

No, it's impossible. It must have been like this out of the box, just haven't noticed it.

----------

No it does not but when you pay $2,499.00 for a laptop it would be nice if it didn't looked like someone has pissed on it after 3 months.

8. Xeridionix macrumors regular

I'd like to second this. As long as you don't scrub too hard you shouldn't cause any further damage, I've cleaned up a few MacBook's and MacBook Pro's with this method and it does actually work for a lot of stubborn stains and discolouration.

9. MALmen thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, i will try that!

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I would just accept it. Not exactly sure u can get anything done if u take it in to a Genius Bar.

11. Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

Looks like a splash from the can of Koke Zer0 you opened whilst looking for spots, that stuff'll rot anything. You haven't said, but I'm assuming you've tried a non-abrasive cleaner already?

12. eneisch macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately there is probably nothing you can do about it at this point. Apple warranties do not cover cosmetic issues and you are way outside the return window. If you had brought it to their attention within the first 14 days they may have swapped it out for you but after three months it is doubtful.

If you have an Apple store close by you could take it in and see if they can do anything. Sometimes if you ask nicely they have been known to make exceptions to their policies.

Best of Luck!

13. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

To be honest

If you have had it 3 months and just noticed it then it is undoubtedly you. If you have only used it for an hour of typing and 3 charge cycles in 3 months then why did you spend $2500 on a laptop.....

14. MALmen thread starter macrumors member

For those who wonder, my Apple Premium Reseller agreed with me and replaced the top cover at no cost.

15. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Well, your reseller surely knows how to handle customer care. Glad for you. Enjoy :cool:

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

For what it's worth, my 2011 MBP had a similar marking right out of the box.