Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MentalFabric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
Hi guys, I've a random problem with my dual 2Ghz G5/ ati 9800 128mb - for a very long time it's had random crashes during processor intense games (though very rarely other kinds of proc. intensive software), these crashing becoming more and more frequent but no software can find any hardware issues, i know it's not a software issue as I've reinstalled, and recently when displaying dark images, lots of random pixels flash on and off green, only noticeable over dark/black images. any ideas? I'd say logic board or video card but have no way to find out without being without my mac for too long :)

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
about same thing on iMac G5 20

No real help but some commiseration for you: sporadically X-Plane will either upset the video display and crash itself, leaving the computer working but acting out of sorts until rebooted; and occasionally X-Plane will crash the whole iMac G5 with signs of kernel panic, and all is well after reboot. X-Plane is definitely processor and video card intensive--Hardware Monitor gets interesting to watch while it's running.

You've got a lot more computer power on your machine but the problems sound similar.

MentalFabric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
baummer said:
Do you by chance have any other processor intense applications running at the same time?

at first yes but after the issues started i started running games with no other apps running

MentalFabric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
JDar said:
No real help but some commiseration for you: sporadically X-Plane will either upset the video display and crash itself, leaving the computer working but acting out of sorts until rebooted; and occasionally X-Plane will crash the whole iMac G5 with signs of kernel panic, and all is well after reboot. X-Plane is definitely processor and video card intensive--Hardware Monitor gets interesting to watch while it's running.

You've got a lot more computer power on your machine but the problems sound similar.

surprisingly enough, X-Plane is one of the few games i can run with no problems!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.