STRANGE distortions in Tiger on a G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by TheG3Guy, Jan 19, 2009.

1. TheG3Guy macrumors member

TheG3Guy

Well i recently had to downgrade my powermac g5 with radeon x800xt to tiger....and now everything is updated..and when a box's option is clicked, a small box remains on the screen in the color of the thing clicked or highlighted. There is now a strange yet quiet squeeling noise coming from my computer only when i scroll. Also if i leave the mouse on the middle of my web page when i scroll, the words it travel over leave a tail of distorted boxes the size of the mouse arrow behind it. I dont know if its a setting, or if something hardware wise is failing, because it didnt happen when i had leopard in hours ago.:mad:

2. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

Did you downgrade by re-installing the original disks that came with it? if not you might need to download a grpahics update.

also idk but did the x800 get firmware flashed for a new version? maybe post firmware flash it's only Leopard (obviously if you were running tiger it wouldn't have told you to flash)
    see if there's a old flash?

3. TheG3Guy thread starter macrumors member

TheG3Guy

well im not sure if its new or not. I just got this card for christmas and it worked fine in leopard. Heres what system profiler says:

ATI Radeon X800 XT:

Chipset Model: ATY,R420
    Type: Display
    Bus: AGP
    Slot: SLOT-1
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x4a48
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-A35801-109
    Displays:
    Display:
    Resolution: 1440 x 900
    Depth: 32-bit Color
    Core Image: Supported
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Display:

NOTICE how there is no display recognized....maybe the refresh rate is part of the problem then? i Use a 19" emachines LCD i also just got. How would i get it to recognize this monitor??

4. Macintosh¯Lover macrumors member

5. TheG3Guy thread starter macrumors member

TheG3Guy

every time i try...it says that im trying to "leech" from ati.com. If someone could send a link id be grateful. I already got the one that was on the website..but i dont think it was the best driver

6. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

7. TheG3Guy thread starter macrumors member

TheG3Guy

well i tried to install a new theme on leopards windows to make them clear in terminal, and i accidentally entered some mystical command that crashed leopard. The only disc i had was a tiger disc from my powermac g4. And as for the issue i never found i solution..so i used carbon copy cloner to clone the hard drive from my mac mini onto the G5...and it was bootable so now i have leopard again and it works swimmingly. Thanks everyone for putting up with me