Strange dots on MBPr 2015 screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rm.1247, Jul 12, 2017.

1. rm.1247 macrumors newbie

Hi All

This evening I cleaned the Macbook Pro Retina (2015) as usual with a micro fibre cloth and distilled water (spray bottle). However, I noticed these small dots as shown in the picture (only visible at certain angles). At first I thought it was small stubborn particles, but after attempting to repeatedly scrub at them, they still remain. Looking back, I have noticed these dots for at least 6 months, which, up until now felt were removed when I cleaned the screen. I only noticed them today as I left the desk lamp on (luckily) which was glaring at the screen.

I have owned the Mac from new since June 2016 and bought directly from Apple with 3yr warranty. Are Apple likely to replace the entire display? Would be interested in hearing from anyone else with a 2015 MBRr that has experienced similar issues!

Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Distilled water is not the best screen cleaner,you need some anti static cleaner spray. Try that before leaving it to Apple.

3. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502

Rocko99991

It's the coating starting to fail. Apple will replace the screen but it's likey to happen again. Distilled water is one of the safest liquids to use as it contains no particulates. Don't use any cleaning agent.

4. The Clark macrumors regular

The Clark

Please don't. That will just speed up the deterioration. Take it into Apple (or any Apple certified retailer) and they'll replace it with a brand new screen. I had my screen replaced two years ago and it still looks brand new (I stopped using cleaning agents from Best Buy).

5. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502

Rocko99991

How do you clean yours? Also, what do you think of those microfiber cloths that go in between the keyboard and screen when closed?

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"How do you clean yours? Also, what do you think of those microfiber cloths that go in between the keyboard and screen when closed?"

Don't place ANYTHING between the keyboard and the display surface -- there's not enough space there, and anything that comes between will increase the pressure on the coating on the display surface -- and the likelihood of damage.

The best way to maintain the retina display is to handle the computer so that the display surface requires as little "attention" as possible.

That means -- don't touch it unless you absolutely have to.
    Take care in opening closing it -- where you put your fingers.
    Don't wipe the surface unless absolutely necessary.
    If it's just "to remove dust", use a soft cotton cloth and don't "press it" against the surface, just "dust it across".
    If something does get on the surface that you need to get off, use water and a VERY soft cloth. Rub the surface WITH AS LIGHT A TOUCH as is possible.
    Then "dust it", as above.

I believe the retina surface coating is "weak by design" -- that is, prone to developing problems. It LOOKS GREAT when new, of course, but the idea of a very thin coating over a surface that is normally exposed to the wear-and-tear of the real world is inviting trouble.

7. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502

Rocko99991

I agree that the coating is weak and a poor design for these laptops. I see many people have keyboard marks on their screen. These don't seem to have anything to do with the cleaning of the screen, but the screen resting on the keys. A thin microfiber sounds like it would have helped in these cases.

8. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

I had this on mine when I first got a 2015 model when it came out. It happened about two months after I got the machine. Apple replaced the screen for free.

Within a couple months, the new screen was doing the exact same thing. So I just learned to live with it.

9. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502

Rocko99991

They will replace it for up to 3 year from date of purchase. You can still get it replaced.