strange download issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by notimetoulouse, Jun 8, 2011.

1. notimetoulouse, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

notimetoulouse macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, hope you can help.
    Me - G5 desktop, OSX 10.5.8, 4mb ram.
    I'm working with someone in Australia at the moment and I've come across a weird download issue.
    The author has sent this file (example) to a mixed group of windoze and mac users.....computer science textbooks closely related keywords.xls
    I know its hideously long, but it zips fine, uploads fine, downloads fine and opens perfectly for all windows users. For mac users, once it's unzipped on the desktop it cuts half of the file name away in 'get info' like this....computer science textbooks closely related k
    And then it won't open as a spreadsheet, but as a garbled text doc in textedit.
    Going to 'get info' for the file, and changing it back to how it should be, and asking for it to be opened in Numbers has everything working fine again.
    I can understand that possibly the ftp process might be to blame because of the length of the name, but why does it work perfectly for windows users and not for the mac?
    Hope you can help - I've pulled most of my hair out, and I've got nearly 18 thousand files to rename via get info unless I can find a fix.:(

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Probably due to different zip-applications dealing differently with long filenames. Get Renamer4Mac and load in all files, append .xls.