Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drj434343

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Portland, OR
I've had this issue with OS X for as long as I can remember. It seems to span reformats and installations (i.e., I've seen it on multiple installs). If there's a file I want to open, I'll right click and bring up the options menu, then choose the "open with" option. It gives you the list of recommended programs you can open the file with. The odd thing is that I've always had duplicates of Safari, Quicktime, Preview, and a few others on this list. There will be literally two Safari icons, both of which work find to open the file. Same goes for all other duplicates. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
You can fix this by rebuilding your LaunchServices database. Open Terminal and type the following:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/\Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister \ -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

(Type it all on one line with no line breaks, then hit Return...give it a few seconds, and you should be all set!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.