Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jahoyo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
Hello all. After I reboot, hundreds of empty folders with odd names are put in my user directory. I am enclosing a picture. It's driving me nuts, mostly because I can't find any solutions anywhere. OS 10.12.6 just upgraded but had the problem before too.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 8.27.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 8.27.18 PM.png
    200.7 KB · Views: 987
Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Those folders are all different dates.
Are they ONLY in your user folder - those files and folders that you see when you open your home folder?
If you delete ALL those strange folders, then reboot, do new folders appear with only the current date - or do they show those random dates/random names?

The EtreCheck results will likely help you find out a cause --- great idea...

Reactions: Beachguy

jquebedeaux

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA
Those folders are all different dates.
Are they ONLY in your user folder - those files and folders that you see when you open your home folder?
If you delete ALL those strange folders, then reboot, do new folders appear with only the current date - or do they show those random dates/random names?

The EtreCheck results will likely help you find out a cause --- great idea...
Hello all. After I reboot, hundreds of empty folders with odd names are put in my user directory. I am enclosing a picture. It's driving me nuts, mostly because I can't find any solutions anywhere. OS 10.12.6 just upgraded but had the problem before too.

Did you ever figure out the cause? I have the exact same problem/issue, even with 10.13, but also started when I had 10.12.x i believe. I haven't been able to pin down exactly what's creating them.

Jahoyo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
Did you ever figure out the cause? I have the exact same problem/issue, even with 10.13, but also started when I had 10.12.x i believe. I haven't been able to pin down exactly what's creating them.
I never figured out the solution but you're the first person I have seen who also has the problem. I ended up creating a new user account and deleting the corrupted one.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I never figured out the solution but you're the first person I have seen who also has the problem. I ended up creating a new user account and deleting the corrupted one.
That sounds like a solution to me. No need to pull your hair out trying to figure out how it happened and if there is a specific tweak to fix it unless it happens again.

Last edited:

zepfhyr

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2009
I, too, have been having this problem. I had assumed it was caused when my computer would kernel panic, as the GPU in my MBP is going out. But I'm seeing them even when my computer hasn't had an issue for several days. They were definitely happening in 10.12.6, but I don't think I saw them before that.

I've looked to see what apps I installed between 10.12.6 and 10.13, but nothing jumped out at me.

Reactions: markles

j_appel

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2004
Illinois
I've been having this problem as well. I've been unable to find a solution. I was thinking a reinstall of everything may be in order, but I'd like to keep that as a last resort.

maria5diazz

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2018
Solved!

Virtual ][ is the culprit.

You need to uninstall ActiveGS, which is added by Virtual ][.

~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins.

Deleted the plug in. No phantom folders. Restarted the Mac. Resarted Safari. Still no phantom folders. I think it's solved! You try it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/76rbs3/strange_empty_folders_in_user_directory/

So i tried looking for that, but virtual isn't on my computer? And these folders aren't just sending to my mac.hd, its also putting random folders on my hard drive. Please help, its messing up my hard drive and cant look at my folders in there.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 11.31.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 11.31.55 PM.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 171
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.