Strange Equation: iMac 27" + 27" Cinema + MBP

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tbeauvais, Apr 2, 2012.

1. tbeauvais macrumors newbie

This is my first post here because I don't know how to ask or search for this question. It's because all posts have been about the iMac + 27" or MBP + iMac or MBP + 27" + 27" and so on..

I have a Late 2009 27" iMac and looking to get a 27" Cinema soon. It is a great setup but I am looking to get the next rev of MBP when it comes out so I can travel.

Question, is it even possible to daisy chain the three of them together? Or do I need to get another 27" cinema display?

I would like to still use the iMac as a home computer and media server rather than buying another computer.

Thanks!

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

The only way to daisy chain them together is if they all had Thunderbolt inputs, in other words all devices would need to be mid 2011 or later which your iMac clearly is not. In your case, the answer is no.

3. SuperMiguel macrumors 6502

How can you chain them? If they are all 2011+ models??? Like in my case an imac 27" mid 2011, new MBA 13, and a brand new thunderbolt display?

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

The imac 27" can act as a display. For the 2009 and 2010 models, you use mini-dp. For 2011 model, you need both computers to support thunderbolt and a thunderbolt wire.

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

In your case because all the devices are Thunderbolt enabled all you need is the Thunderbolt cables, off to the Apple Store you go!

6. unixperience macrumors regular

actually, didn't the thunderbolt revision say that you can daisy chain a dp connector as long as it was the LAST item in the chain.

I think actually the problem was with the 27" cinema display, they dont daisy chain DIRECTLY to a DP monitor. But if you insert another TB device (such as a TB harddrive) and THEN the DP monitor, you can do it..... well with the imacs... i dont know if that works with the pros.

7. SuperMiguel macrumors 6502

Stil don't understand how I can connect both my lappy and my iMac to the thunderbolt display... It has only one thunderbolt input, where do I connect the other cable??

8. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

what size MBP do you plan on getting if you went down that route?
    And yes, your setup would be awesome if you got all of that gear.