strange error message?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by macmesser, Sep 11, 2014.

1. macmesser macrumors 6502a

I just updated Drive Genius and iTunes in that order per Software Update. After iTunes had finished updating I noticed a strange error message which I made the mistake of dismissing before writing down. It said something VERY approximately to the effect that an ethernet kext file had not been installed properly and cannot be used. Two questions: Does anybody have an idea as to what this is. Is there some way I can look at the last error message in some kind of error log?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Open Console app from /Applications/Utilities and scroll back to the exact date and time this happened and see what error message was logged there.

3. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. It happened a few hours ago so I'll see if I can meake sense of the console info. Maybe not- there's a lot there even when I go back to approximate time. Should console display error message text or close to it?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Console won't show the graphic of course, but it should have a similar error message in plain text. Do this soon, because those console messages can purge off fairly quickly. You might try searching for "kext" in the top of Console.

5. macmesser, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Think I found it. Looks like Intego uninstaller doesn't coexist with Drive Genius 3.

6. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for response. Amazingly, the console information provides considerable context even if one doesn't know the actual meaning of a single line. I've experienced no problems so it seems to have been a minor incompatibility between Drive Genius updater and Intego uninstaller (cat and dog, apparently:)). I'm thinking the updater fooled the uninstaller into believing something had been manually deleted.