Strange error when installing XP via Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by lamina, Dec 13, 2009.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I have been trying to install Windows XP Pro SP3 on my MacBook, and after the installation finishes, I get an error saying that hal.dll can't be found. Really strange. Windows 7 installs fine, but I'd like to install XP for nostalgia's sake.

The disc is clean and I get no errors during install. Any ideas?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That maybe due to formatting issues.

When you run Boot Camp Assistant, it creates a partition formatted with the FAT32 file system, and then when you run the Win XP Installer you have the option to format the partition yourself, for which you have to erase the FAT32 partition first and then format it in NTFS. You have to remain from re-formating the partition yourself until the installer asks you if you want the partition formatted with NTFS in either QuickFormat or the slow running option.

Was that understandable?

3. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Thanks for your response.

I formatted the partition in Disk utility with NTFS, and formatted it again using the slower option in the XP installer. 3 times. Still no go.

Then I deleted the partition, and tried to add another via Boot Camp, but it gives me an error that it can't do it. I can't remember the error. Not enough space? I have plenty space free.

Looks like it's time to do a reformat anyway. I'll try it again tonight, and if no dice, I'll reformat the entire drive and reinstall Snow Leopard and take it from there.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You don't use Mac OS' Disk Utility to format the Boot Camp partition with NTFS, you use the Windows installer when it offers you without deleting a partition first.
    There you can choose between Quick Format (recommended, only takes a minute or so) and the Normal Format (name may vary).
    Don't use the Erase Partition option/tool while in the Windows Installer, just go through the normal installation procedure until Windows offers you to format with NTFS (the offer comes when still in the DOS like environment).

I ran into the HAL.DLL problem myself quite often, and this was the solution that worked.