Strange external hard drive issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by shenan1982, Jan 17, 2013.

1. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

So I'm having a weird hard drive issue with my Firewire external seagate 4tb drive. I have two partitions, a 3TB and a 1TB. I use the 1 as a time machine backup. Often the drive powers down to save power, then when it powers back up, it fails time machine backup and says unable to backup because drive is read only. The only solution I have is to unplug the drive and plug it back in then it comes back to life. I have replaced the drive and it still does it, so it doesn't seem like the drive is the issue. Any suggestions\solutions?

2. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

Do you know what its formatted in? I had trouble with my HDs until I found out Apple formats all their stuff FAT32 and a lot of stuff you buy in a store or old HDs you might have lying around are NTFS which is a Microsoft thing, so Macs don't use it unless you get something called NTFS-3G

Not sure if thats the problem, but that helped me.

3. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Partition Map Scheme : GUID Partition Table
    Format : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Only difference is:

Owners Enabled : Yes (Partition 1)
    Owners Enabled : No (Partition 2)

Any ideas? Kinda drives me nuts how it always spins down\power saves, because then when I click the drive there is a 2-3 second wait to open.

4. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

The only thing I would be able to suggest is go into the Disk tool and see if you can change that part about it being enabled?

5. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I have no idea how to enable\disable, as there is no option for such.