Strange fan noise on 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JustLikeYou, Aug 26, 2009.

1. JustLikeYou macrumors member

Hello all :)

If this has been answered before, please let me know with some links, but I did some searching on the forums and couldn't seem to use the right search terms to find what I was looking for.

I purchased my new 13" MBP a few weeks ago after selling off my 13" white MB. About a week ago I started noticing a strange scratching noise coming from the computer, but it was faint and I couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from. I thought I may have been imagining it at first since I didn't hear it all the time, but it has become more apparent now. The sound is not very loud, but in a quiet room it is clearly audible at normal sitting distance. It is coming from around where all the plugs are on the left side, around the tilde & escape & tab keys... and sounds like a faint, rhythmic "kchhh..kchhh.......kchhh..kchhh.......kchhh..kchhh.......kchhh..kchhh".

the rhythmic sound doesn't happen all the times... sometimes it is a random scratching noise. Obviously this isn't normal, but is this something I should be concerned about? Should I bring this to the genius bar and see what they have to say, or would that be overly obsessive? Just seeing if anybody else has had this before or if this is normal, etc. Thanks for the help :)

Brittany

2. JustLikeYou thread starter macrumors member